chapter forty - the wedding night

Upon arriving at the Bridgerton country home, Aurora was stunned at its beauty

Upon arriving at the Bridgerton country home, Aurora was stunned at its beauty. Anthony had clearly been modest when he described it as a small estate. No, indeed, the house was exquisite and really rather large, Tudor in style it had several oriel windows and a beautiful, grand Tudor arch in the centre. Aurora was in awe as she peered at it from the carriage.

If she was inspired by the architecture, it was nothing in comparison to the extravagant gardens that surrounded the house. A rolling lawn stretched across the front and beyond that several water gardens, rose gardens, winter gardens, and more.

Considering the fine weather, Aurora anticipated spending rather a lot of time outside exploring the beauty of this secluded world. She had brought several books about English history which in hindsight seemed an even better idea that she could ever have imagined. For she was sure she would not be spending much time with the Viscount. Regardless, she would not have him spoil the Edenic sanctuary she had found herself placed in.

As the carriage rolled to a stop and the door was opened Anthony jumped out, heading toward the house he briskly greeted the servants and entered. He didn't even spare her a glance.

Whilst initially she had felt anger at his untoward actions, now Aurora simply felt hurt. After a lengthy internal debate during the course of the journey, the new Viscountess had come to the conclusion that whatever the cause of her husband's behaviour, it was not due to her own actions.

Following his route, she greeted each of the servants personally. They were, after all, to be looking after her for the next week.

Mrs. Hardwick took her on a tour of the house and, later, the gardens. It was incredibly detailed and Aurora could not help but ask fervent questions about the history of the family and the house itself. It was no earlier than eleven o'clock by the time they had finished.

It was not until this point that Aurora realised she ha not had the chance to eat anything since breakfast at her Uncle's town house. Gosh had the day really been so long?!

Thankfully the servants had been kind enough to produce a cold spread which Aurora readily devoured whilst discussing her new duties with Mrs. Hardwick.

She had just finished and was ready to finally make her way to bed when the door to the dining room opened revealing the Viscount.

Mrs. Hardwick must have noticed the stone cold look upon his face for she quickly excused herself. Although Aurora would have much preferred it if she had remained with them.

"I have had the maids prepare you a room in the West Wing." His voice was as cold as it had been earlier.

"I see. And you?"

"What about me?" He snapped.

Aurora cursed the stinging sensation in her eyes. This was going worse than she had imagined. If he wasn't careful, all the affection she had for him would quickly disperse.

She gulped before replying, "I assume you are not sleeping with me. I was merely wondering if you would be in the room next-"

"Does it matter?" He raised an eyebrow and she fell silent, "I will be sleeping in the East Wing. If you need anything call the servants. Do not wake me. I have had a long day."

She could not help the sarcastic laugh that escaped her. At the sound the Viscount snapped his head to look at her in annoyance.

"You have had a long day, my Lord? Clearly. Perhaps some sleep will fix your childish attitude!" She stormed past him, elbowing his side as she did. It was petty but she couldn't help herself.

She was but a couple of feet from him when he reached out to grab her arm.

"Aurora!" His voice had lost its coldness and was the same of that which she had secretly grown fond of. Turning to face him, she noticed that his eyes had lost their frosty demeanour and once again held an expression not dissimilar to that of a lost puppy.

Their gaze connected and something peculiar happened. The brief glimpse of gentleness that had emerged was suddenly covered once again by Anthony's cool façade.

"Do not elbow me in future when I say something that displeases you. It is not fitting of a Viscountess."

Aurora would have laughed again were it not for the intensity of his gaze.

Instead, she took a step so that she was stood right in front of him. They were almost touching and, despite his attempts to remain passive, the tension between them crackled.

She slowly tilted her head up, her lips were now millimetres away from the shell of his ear. Their breathing was now heavy and, in the silence of the room, she could hear the dull thud of his heartbeat in his chest.

"Is that so, Viscount?" She whispered, "I am so sorry to have disappointed you." The sarcasm in her voice was thick.

However, she did not give him the chance to make a retort. She simply places a chaste kiss on the side of his neck and left the room without a second glance - no matter how much she wished to see his reaction.

Anthony stood staring after his wife long after she had left. He subconsciously lifted his hand and lightly brushed where she had kissed him. No woman had ever made him feel so helpless, so weak. He hated it. Yet - simultaneously - he loved it.

Yet he knew, considering his new business venture, he could not allow himself to become close to her. For he was about to enter a world of war, crime, and persistent threats. And he could not allow her to get caught up in it.

*****

My darlings readers,

So you will see a little hint at why Anthony is behaving so ridiculously. I wonder what his new venture could entail?

I am aware that my updates on my other stories have fallen behind - I'm afraid my Extended Project Qualification is taking up increasing amounts of my time.

Regardless, I am somehow managing to keep on top of everything. Hooray!

Yours truly
V