chapter thirty six - the wedding

After taking a moment to herself in order to steady her nerves, Aurora descended down the stairs, accompanied by her maid who was successfully managing to protect the bridal train from becoming scuffed or torn

She reached the top of the house's central staircase and paused as her three brothers turned to admire her. Their faces shone with astonishment at the change between their once wild sister into a radiant young woman ready to marry.

William walked to the bottom of the staircase to greet her and held out his hand nobly.

"You look exquisite, Aurora."

She blushed, her eldest brother was not usually one for such explicit shows of endearment.

They had now joined Alexander and Julius, as together the four of them were to travel in the same carriage to the cathedral. Which in hindsight did not Secunderabad like a particularly clever idea considering their affinity for misbehaving.

Stepping into the carriage that would lead her to the next stage in her life, Aurora was delighted at the warmth of the mid morning sun. The day promised to be a sunny and pleasant one - good omens for the forthcoming marriage.

Once inside, the carriage journey was thankfully not particularly eventful. William spent most of it lecturing Julius about what would happen should he misbehave, also accidentally letting slip that he had found a 'most excellent young lady' to introduce to the youngest Grey boy. Julius was not happy.

This was ironic, Aurora thought, considering his own part in bringing about her marriage. She smirked at the thought of him having to spend the day fleeing from conniving young ladies and their determined mothers.

Westminster Cathedral was a building Aurora had grown to know well. The largest Catholic Church within easy reach of Grosvenor Square, she had spent every Sunday of her visits as a child admiring its architecture.

Never before had it felt so daunting to her. In fact, it was one of her favourite places to worship and she had developed a close connection with the persons working there, often discussing the world of the Old Testament for several hours.

But now it's previously welcoming presence filled her with terror. The building once so grand in its neo-Byzantine architecture now stared at her cold and stately.

Inside the chapel, the whole of the ton had been squeezed onto pews. Some more reluctantly than others - considering the King was in fact a Protestant and therefore Catholics were the enemy - but regardless, everyone, it seemed, was there.

Indeed, the Bridgerton family was most intrigued by the idea of such a wedding, for they had never experienced anything of the sort and, well, the gossip that had spread through the ton in recent days was nothing upon which one might be able to base serious opinions.

"Do they really chant the commandments over and over for an hour straight?" Hyacinth was very much excited by the almost barbaric suggestions she had heard.