Chapter 53

Asher's POV

"I love you, angel," I whisper. I knew she was fast asleep, she wouldn't hear a thing.

"I love you so much, too much. If only you knew how scared I am. I'm scared that you will wake up one day and realize I'm not worth it." I sigh once I let it out.

It's true, Vanessa was everything I wasn't. I've messed things up between us so many times. In reality, I was constantly scared, self-conscious, and worried. She could find someone way better, any day. I was this impulsive jerk, who doesn't think before acting. I try putting this front, I pretend to be confident.

When I got to know Maya, I felt the need to protect her. It added more pressure on me. I feel like I'm constantly on thin ice. I don't regret anything, but I'm scared of messing everything up. It feels surreal, everything was going too smoothly.

Vanessa's POV

"Uncle Noah is back!" Noah announces his entrance into my house. Maya jumps in her seat as she turns around. Her face spreads into a wide smile as she sees Ethan and Noah entering the house. Amelia and Emily were already here since they basically lived here as well.

Maya jumps into Ethan's arms while Noah shows her a present they got her. I shake my head jokingly, she already had everything.

"So, what's today's plan?" Ethan asks as she places Maya back on her two feet.

"I got nothing, I thought we could just chill after working hard yesterday," Amelia suggests.

"I think I need to step into this conversation because Amelia is clearly not thinking straight. We should go to the Mall of America!" Noah says excitedly.

"Excuse you for thinking about our health!" Amelia replies. Ethan sighs knowing she didn't wake up on the right side of the bed. He walks towards her and hugs her from behind. I would have awed at the view if Noah didn't speak again.

"Imagine this, we could go shopping or whatever you three girls like doing, and eat the amazing food all in one place!" Noah persuades us. Maya looks between us all, confused as to what we were talking about. She accidentally drops the small doll she carried in her hand, drawing Noah's attention to her. "Oh! I couldn't forget about our little angel! There is also an amusement park, just right for Maya."

"I would say we should go for it, but we just need to prepare a whole group of bodyguards. This time, it's a mall, it will be full of people our age. They won't have any trouble recognizing us," Asher points out.

"I forgot you four are quite famous that you need to watch your every step. Can't relate!" Amelia jokes. I smile at her much better mood.

"To make it easier, I can just disguise myself. Asher, Noah, and Ethan, you would be the only people we had to protect at all times. It would make the guards' job easier than having all four of us," I suggest.

"Sounds perfect! Let's meet outside in twenty, I'll have the guards and Maya ready to go," Asher assures us. I quickly run upstairs to get my disguise on. I smile realizing it has been quite some time since I used it.

"W-Where is mommy?" Maya asks as I take a seat next to Asher in the car. Asher chuckles at her question and pulls out of the driveway. If she couldn't recognize me, it meant I still had my skills. Noah was driving the rest of the group, trailing behind us. We also made sure that two cars of guards were behind our trail at all times.