Chapter 41

Vanessa's POV

The whole group, including Maya, were seated at an ice cream shop. Noah was busy making jokes, Maya laughed at all of them. She giggled and licked the chocolate ice cream we got her.

We were seated in this booth shaped like a half-circle. On the left end, Ethan was seated, followed by Amelia and Asher. In the middle, Maya was seated and I followed. Finally, Emily and Noah were seated at the right end of the booth.

I loved seeing Maya laugh and get along with everyone, especially Asher. Both of them were inseparable, Maya seemed to have forgotten about me. Of course, I was jealous but their cute interactions surpassed any jealousy I felt.

"Maya since it's the weekend tomorrow do you want to come with us?" Asher asks her.

"Yes! B-but dad?" Maya mentions her dad with a saddened expression.

"I'll take care of it, Angel!" Noah exclaims. "We are going to have so much fun!"

Maya puts her hands up imitating Noah. Noah has finally found someone to match his energy.

"We should probably drop off Maya home," Noah suggests.

I nod sadly, I don't want to let her go. Asher squeezes my hand telling me he understands.

"Vanessa and Asher, do you want to come with me to drop her off?" Noah asks.

"Sure," Asher responds and I nod.

"I will talk with her father about Maya coming with us tomorrow, you guys can wait here," Noah tells us.

"Okay, be careful," I advise Noah. I hug Maya one more time and Asher helps her get off the car. I step outside and meet Asher. Noah takes Maya's hand and walks away from us.

"Hey, we'll see her again tomorrow," Ashe comforts me.

"I know, it's just I want to keep her with me forever. She's got this special place in my heart now," I confess.

"Yeah, Maya is adorable and clever, I love her already even though I found out about her yesterday," Asher adds. "She's got a mouth too, remember what she said in the alley?" Asher asks. I turn to look at him and immediately die of embarrassment. I remember Maya asking Asher to hug me. I look away from him and wanted to run inside the car.

Asher laughs probably at my red, blushing face.

"What? You don't want to remember this?" Asher asks and hugs me. He pulls me in by my waist and stares at me. "The same brown eyes I learned to love."

"Asher-"

"Can we talk later, when we are alone?" Asher asks me. I smile at him and nod. I'm so happy that I might get a chance to explain myself.

"Woah! Keep it pg!" Noah yells as he walks back into the house. I release myself from Asher's arms and head inside the car quickly. Both males follow behind me.

"What did he say?" I ask Noah, referring to Maya's father.

"At first he said he was fine with it as long as I give something in return," Noah informs me.

"What do you mean something in return?" I ask.

"Maya's father asked for money! Does he see Maya as a way of income?!" Asher explains frustrated. I sigh understanding now, Maya's father was so desperate that he was willing to use his daughter as bait.

"Noah from now on, I'll pay him, it's just until we get enough information to help Maya," I tell him.

"It's fine Vanessa, I'm just frustrated on how that man can be the father of such an angel," Noah explains sadly.