seven

albus, severus and yourself have been up in the office for about an hour now, discussing the books and what they entail.

"they also-" you hesitate. you look at both faces and the pair of them stare back curiously.

"also?" albus asks.

you hesitate, sucking in breath between your teeth.

"the books-" you manage. "narrate some deaths- narrate your death."

albus and severus look at eachother and severus is first to turn back at you- albus still pondering, staring out to a wall.

"i suppose they narrate how we die? and by whom?"

you bite your lip nodding.

quickly, you remember that severus can read minds and that so can professor dumbledote and you look at them both.

"don't read my mind." you blurt.

albus seems shocked when he turns to you. "we- read your mind?"

"you two are both powerful legillemens and i don't want the pair of you finding out how you die by looking into my head."

they nod and albus steps up, walking to a shelf nearby.

he opens the shelf, and pulls out a bunch of rickety old wands, made of different warmths of wood and each of the wands with different detailing up the side.

he brings them to the table.

"what are you doing?" severus asks, sounding bored.

"i am testing something," albus says not looking up from the wands he layed down on his desk.

you smile. "you want to know if i myself am capable of magic."

"well, i was trying to be mysterious but yes if you're going to give it away-"
teases dumbeldore.

you let out a snort and snape shook his head and lowered it.

"give one a wave then." albus offers.

you frown at him. "how will you know if i'm not capable?"

"you will pass out." severus says bluntly.

"muggles who have tried to yield wands in the past have been knocked out by the magic- the weak things."

"severus!" albus shakes his head.

"my mother is one of those muggles!" you sneer at snape.

he only smirks back at you, glad to have gotten under your skin. he nods to your arm.

"the same 'mother' who did that to your arm?" he mocks the way you had said it and you glare up at him.

he's right.

"there is good and bad in every species." dumbledore referees, holding a hand up. "but now, we must get back to figure out what species you are.."

"am i a witch?" you mutter to yourself, looking at the wands.

you decide to pick the bulkier one, one of the most tall- and bring it towards you. your ears heat up at the feeling of both, albus and severus, staring at you.

"is there any spell you wish for me to try?" you ask, not looking at them.

"no-" begins albus but severus puts a hand up to stop him.

he rest his hand on his nose bridge and says, slowly. "anything you can remember, y/n."

you nod, looking at the wand. you rack your brain for a spell, a simple one that won't cause destruction if you get it wrong, or even perhaps if you get it right.

you eyes light up and you hold up the wand.

"lumos." you whisper, barely opening your mouth but the sounds reach the attentive ears of both albus and severus.

the tip of your wand lights up with a strong light and you laugh joyfully, looking at snape.

"congratulations." he drawls. "you can turn on a light."

you scowl playfully at him. albus however stands up in delight.

"oh you are a witch! i knew i sniffed some magic on you!" he bring you in an embrace and you find a large smile back on your face.

"alright alright." severus groans and tugs you by your sleeve back to the chair beside him.

you grin, looking at him. "what does that mean then? do i get to come to hogwarts?"

"probably." says snape.

"definetely." albus corrects him.

"yes." you whisper to yourself.

you are going to hogwarts and you are a witch.

"are you okay?" asks severus.

you nod, wiping away tears that you don't realise have fallen to your cheeks.

he gives you a small smile and turns to albus. "this one-" he says. "does minerva know about her?"

your eyes light up again. "oh, minerva mcgonagall?"

albus seems amused by your reaction. "you know her too?"

"oh she's the best! i love her!" you squeal.

severus smirked. "did i get a reaction like this, by any chance?"

"no." you shake your head. "i'm afraid not."

"glad to hear i am welcomed."

albus laughs. "oh you are always welcome here, severus."

"not always." you add, sitting next to him again. severus looks you up and down before watching albus take out a quill.

he scratches it onto a peice of parchment, looping cursive letters into a barely legible letter urging the witch- minerva mcgonagall, to hurry up and make her way to dumbledore's office.

"she's coming now?" severus asks.

albus nods, walking to the window and waving a hand out of it. "she should be. i pray that minerva isn't in such a bad mood as i last saw her when she gets the letter,"

a brown scrawny looking owl flies up to the window and takes the letter from albus in it's beak.

"minerva mcgonagall" he tells the owl.

he turns back to the pair of you. "i don't exactly want to hear an earful from her."

you laugh and severus smirks, probably remembering many times when she may have scolded him.

"she taught you, didn't she?" you ask him.

severus' face turns into a scowl for a second- black eyes glaring at you for asking a personal question.

"i already know literally everything about you." you say, rolling your eyes. "you can stop shielding whatever private information you think i ought not to know."

he doesn't change his expression but looks down at the silver band on his index finger. "she taught me many years ago. she was my transfiguration teacher and a good one at that."

"sounds like you admired her." you say.

severus nods, "i did."

the fireplace in dumbeldore's office erupts into green flames, the strong smell of ash engulfing the room and powder spraying the brick surrounding it.

"those weren't words of praise for me, now were they severus?" mcgonagall says, a mischievous smile on her aged face.

___