twenty five

you awake the next morning, not in the dorm you planned to move into, but on the sofa you fell asleep on.

minerva decided to leave you there on the couch beside your father. you and severus had passed out on the couch after brewing till the evening and minerva thought that the pair of you looked so at peace, that she just couldn't disturb you.

it is bright outside now and you keep your eyes closed, though you are entirely conscious of the strong shoulder leaving its place from beneath your head and aware of the strong arms helping you lay down onto a pillow.

you can hear the birds chirping as severus yawns and stumbles his way to the bathroom.

once you hear the bathroom door shut, your mind wonders what the time is. your eyes open, and you glance at the grand clock that tells you it is currently 9 o'clock.

today is september the first- today is the day you'll start hogwarts.

the other students will be here this evening and they've probably just woken up too.

you'll get to see characters that you never thought existed, harry, ron, hermione and neville. it shouldn't be such a shock factor to you, seeing as though you've been living with severus snape for a while.

"y/n?" severus steps out of the bathroom, drying his hands on a rag before tossing it into the basket to the left of him.

"goodmorning." you greet, your voice still somewhat scratchy from having just woken up.

"did i wake you?" he asked.

you start to say 'no', but he interrupts you before the word leaves your mouth.

"nevermind, it's late enough as it is. it's good your awake."

your face falls.

"it's literally 9, sev, give it a rest."

"okay, okay." severus waves a hand dismissively, before pulling out his wand from his pocket.

he walks in the direction of the kitchen where the makeshift work station has since been packed away.

"get clean, y/n." he calls out behind him. "you'll scare the other kids away with your stench."

you scowl at him just as he disappears from sight and you pause for a second, hesitantly smelling your armpits.

you pull away, rolling your eyes.

"i dont stink..." you mutter to yourself, annoyed that severus had you thinking other wise.

you showered quickly, stumbling out of the bathroom and smiling at the smell of breakfast.

"yummy." you say, looking at a plate of pancakes that severus left on the counter for you.

"eat up." severus says, glancing at you before flipping just another pancake for himself.

"you dont have to tell me twice." you laugh, crossing your knees on the chair and wolfing it down.

"you know, they'll ask you about us- about where you came from, how you can put up with me-" severus mentions offhandly, sitting down opposite you and eating his own pancakes.

they looked starkly different to yours. his were plain and you ate yours with syrup and blueberries.

"i'll tell them to piss off." you say, smirking as severus nearly falls off of his stool.

"none of that, young lady." he tells you off. "or i'll make you swap plates with me."

you apologise frantically and only laugh when severus shakes his head at you in disappointment.

the pair of you discuss what you'll tell the rest of the first years. you decide that you'll tell them that you never knew your mother, that she died soon after having you. you'll tell them severus doesn't talk about her very much because it hurts. ("yeah, right!") you've also decided that if someone asks too many questions you have his permission to cast a silencing charm on them.

"just don't tell minerva that i had any part in it."

the pair of you get ready for the day, severus slipping into a black buttoned shirt, wide black trousers, black robes and a bunch of silver jewellery.

you, on the other hand, dress in a light blue jumper and a pair of white jogging bottoms two sizes too big. you'd have to change into your uniform later, so you didn't bother putting on anything too fancy.

besides, you preferred to be comfortable.

"i plan on leaving in a minute to set up my office, y/n." severus tells you, as he strides in with his robes flowing behind him. "are you coming?"

you tilt your head and think for a moment before shaking it. "nope. i think i'll go look around the castle first- get to know the other teachers a bit more, maybe."

severus shrugs. "that's fine with me. just don't spend too much time with sybil- i don't need you trying to read my palms."

you snort out a laugh. you wonder how severus doesn't laugh at some of his own comments.

they're hilarious.

hogwarts is amazing.

the corridors are interesting enough- even the ones that don't move or that don't have hidden passageways.

you can't remember where any of the passageways even are off the top of your head, but you're sure fred and george would let you have a look at the marauders map if you asked nicely enough.

maybe if you bribed them with how to get into the slytherin dorms.

wait until they find out that the password is just 'pureblood'.

a portrait smiles at you as you walk towards the classrooms near the courtyard entrance, where you remembered minerva mentioning her classroom was during yesterday's lunch.

"hello-" you say, skipping past it but stopping dead in your tracks.

you backtrack, and face the portrait again as it grins up at you. it has a boyish grin, with jet black hair and big round glasses.

harry?

no.

"james?" you gasp.

he nods and you smile wide.

"it's nice to meet you." you say quickly.

the picture of james potter only grins at you, nodding. he couldn't speak but you guessed that that probably meant he was glad to meet you too.

"well," you stammer. "i'll see you, then."

he nods again, and smiles properly now. not a grin- a smile.

you walk slowly down the corridor, processing what just happened when  you hear a door open and see minerva step out.

"i thought i heard you." she says, "come in, take a peek into your future transfiguration classroom."