CH 13: The Real Deal

Claudio Santos was a tall man who at the age of 25 moved his family to the states for the opportunity for a better life. Ally was his favorite daughter, and when she declared her decision to move to New York, his heart broke. Yes, he supported her with encouraging emails, surprise visits, and the occasional facetime, but he missed her terribly. 

When he received the email from Zac he couldn't help but smile through a broken heart. Ally had brought up Zac a lot when talking about work, and he suspected that she was interested in him, but enough for them to take this step? 

He walked to his wife Maria who was putting up clothes and allowed her to read the email he had open. She smiled wide and wiped away a tear. "Do you think that they're ready for that, Maria?" He asked, sitting on their bed. 

She took a breath and nodded handing him back his phone. "She's been with him a long time, love. Karly told me that Ally mentioned they were finally ready to be a couple instead of just dating a lot." Karly was Ally's older sister; Maria knew that they'd been pretty much just not labeling their relationship for years.

"Claudio, he's sat with her on facetime for years, and remember last year he sent flowers when your dad died." 

The old man nodded and flipped his phone in his hand. "He better have a ring already. I don't want this to be a 'we just want to play house thing'. " 

Maria rolled her eyes and immediately called Ally's sister to gossip about Claudio's reaction. 

One Month Later: New York City ...Two Months Until Proposal 

Dinner had gone so much better than Zac thought; the conversation with both Maria and Claudio was easy flowing. That was until Claudio asked a hell of a question... 

"What makes you think that after what three months of really dating that you're ready for this? I'm not lending my blessing to setting up Ally for a failed marriage. Especially one that messes with her career." 

Maria signaled their waiter for more wine and placed her hand on her husband's waiting for Zac's answer. Zac took a sip of wine and then let out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. 

"Well, sir you are absolutely valid with your question. I have so many nieces and nephews and I'd be interested in knowing the same." He reached in his pocket and handed the ring box across the table. Ally's parents both had wide eyes as they looked at the ethereal ring. 

Zac straightened his shirt and leaned in some. " Before I met Ally I was engaged and it didn't work out. For years I was so afraid to open my heart again and to admit that I loved Ally and if I'm being honest, I knew I just wasn't good enough for her. I made her a permanent part of my team because watching her in her element is magic, and I love how smart and confident she is. Even when she doubts herself, she sticks to her guns and works from the very best place possible. Apart from work, I've never met a person so giving and so passionate about life. It's contagious, and I can't get enough of her. I can tell you that I'm a better man because of her." 

She saw that they were both smiling silently and he went on. 

"I can't live without asking her to be my wife and to start this adventure with me. I've also been approached by all my brothers and sisters and one of my nieces and my parents telling me that they can't wait until she's a part of our family." 

They all laughed a bit and chatted about the details of the proposal as dessert and coffee came out.  Claudio grilled Zac about his family, and when the waiter came by with a card carrier and pen Claudio reached for the bill. The waiter handed it to Zac and smiled seeing the generous tip Zac was adding.