Ch 12: When You Know...You Know

"How many times can I write an email?" Zac thought to himself as he rubbed his eyes. He looked at his watch and let out a huff as he began the email to Ally's dad for the fifth time. It was 2:47a.m. and his love was snoozing on the couch next to him. She fell asleep watching him edit photos from Tulsa. He wanted to use the photos and his story to propose to Ally; wanted to take her breath away, surprise her, and most importantly get a yes. The article took him over a week to write and the working title was, "When You Know You Know".  He documented the first time he began to have feelings for her as well as how her beauty intimidated him at first and how his baggage kept him from stepping up as a man and confirming his feelings for her. He took a deep breath and hit send on the following email: 

Mr. Santos, 

 I understand that you will be in New York to celebrate Thanksgiving with your amazing Ally. It would mean the world to me if you would allow me to treat you and Mrs. Santos to dinner while you're in town. The only catch is that I would need to keep this private, which means not allowing Allyson to know. I have a surprise that I hope will please her and I would love your involvement in its execution. Please speak to Mrs. Santos and let me know which restaurant you would like to try while you're in town. I look forward to seeing you. 

Regards, 

Zachary Hanson

His fingers were shaking when he hit send. What if he said no or decided that he didn't approve of their relationship or the proposal idea? It was a rather public one, and sadly there would be an editor's note either way. He just prayed that it was a happy one. ITZ had a party planned for the Valentine's Day edition where pictures from the articles would be displayed and it would also be broadcast on their Youtube channel. It was an annual bash, and always a very big deal. He knew that this wasn't really his style, but so many years had gone by spent sneaking around and afraid of what a commitment would look like. Zac was ready to shout his love out to the world. It didn't matter that they hadn't been a couple too long. His own parents only dated nine months before his dad popped the question. 

Two days later Zac found himself in a closed-door meeting with a jeweler and Rae. He needed her permission to do the proposal and a woman's perspective on a ring.  Rae's nose crinkled and she squealed as she heard Zac explain his plan. "I want to have the last photo of the article be my hands holding the ring. When we present the issue in the meeting I want to do it." Rae thought for a moment and then let out a sigh as she picked up a ring and placed it on her own finger and admired it. 

"Hanson, you know the world will know if she says no, right?" Rae looked across her large desk at him and the jeweler who was writing up a receipt. Zac handed his card over to the jeweler and then looked the strong-willed Rae in her icy eyes. " I know, Rae but I don't care. I love her and I want her to be mine. When you know you know. " He smiled as he shook the jewelers hand then waved him off and sat down. Having a truly private moment she looked back at Zac and bit her lip. "I approve Hanson, but don't you go soft on me."