Chapter 28

I threw my stuff down in the entryway of my still-new home. Katherine closed the door behind her and walked straight into the office room, which I learned was just a room with a desk, computer, files, stuff like that. She told me she only gets online to check on her family and to answer emails. 

I went to my room and sat down in my bed. All of this still felt very surreal to me; the fact I had a new life in a new home. It was a bit comforting none the less.

"Erika, what do you want for dinner?" I heard Katherine called from the other room. 

"Whatever you want!" I responded, scooting back against the headboard and hugging one of my pillows. I honestly just want to fast forward a few days until I can see Kage again.

I used to love sleeping alone; having the whole bed to myself and not fighting over who gets more blankets, but it has become very lonely now. Cold and lonely.

I laid down on my side, still hugging the pillow while desperately wishing it would be Kage instead...

~

When I opened my eyes, my room was completely dark. Seems like I fell asleep again, still in my jeans but with a blanket thrown over me. That's something Katherine does... she says it's a maternal thing but my mother never did anything sweet like that. 

I looked over and saw the cat, Luna, staring blankly at the light shining through the crack of my door. I couldn't see anything but I saw shadows move across. assuming it was Katherine, I decided to just go back to sleep.

~

When the light flooded into my room, I knew it was time for me to get up. I opened my eyes and saw that my door was cracked open and Luna wasn't in my bed.

Standing up, I gently brushed my fingers through my hair to get rid of a few tangles and went straight to the kitchen for some water. As I stepped through the house, I rubbed my eyes to try and adjust to all the sunlight in the house. Katherine liked it that way; saying it felt cheerful.

"Good morning, snow bear," I heard his voice from across the kitchen, making my heart skip a beat. I took my hands from my eyes and sure enough, I see Kage sitting at the table, drinking coffee with Katherine. I stood in shock, wondering what he was doing here for what felt like forever until Katherine spoke up. 

"You don't have much time before you two need to get going so please, sit down," she said with a concerned tone. I nodded and pulled up a chair at the end of the table.

"Get going? What is going on?" I asked, feeling Kage grab my hand under the table and gently rub his thumb over the back of my hand.

"You and Kage are... meant to be together. I knew that the day you checked in. Nobody has ever gotten to him like you have. No one has given him a chance like you have. Erika, as someone who has been in love before, don't lose him. I have everything set up and I want you two to be out of here by this afternoon," Katherine explained, pouring me a glass of orange juice and handing it to me. Kage sighed and looked at the table.

"Last night... Ms.Miller got an emergency call about me. I got a little violent because they didn't want you to come see me anymore. Long story short, she got me out of there when nobody was looking so now your eyes are now fixed upon an escaped mental patient," he said, only it didn't help but rather make me want to ask more questions. 

"So when they realize you're gone, they come to look for you and arrest us all?" 

"I cleaned up my mess, it'll be a day or so before they realize he's actually missing. That's why you two need to go by tonight," Katherine said, patting me on the shoulder and walking out of the room.