Chapter 4

Kage's p.o.v.

"I'm just saying Janice; I don't trust him around her.. She's so little and can't protect herself." I hear one of the male nurses say to Ms. Miller.

The way they spoke about Erika infuriated me; yes she was small, but she was very capable of protecting herself. She doesn't even need protecting when she is around me.

I grabbed my tray of food and walked along the side of the wall before sitting at an empty table that Erika was at.

She was hunched over her tray, picking the meat and cheese out of her sandwich and scraping all the mayonnaise off with her spoon.

"Enjoying the food?" I nudged her gently with my elbow, laughing a little.

"Not in the slightest," She replied with a disgusted grimace on her face, "I told them I don't eat meat or dairy, and they still give me this crap!" Erika slammed her hands down on the table in frustration. I couldn't help but chuckle at the way she handled her anger.

She sighed heavily, pushing her tray to the side after only eating a bit of bread and a scoop of peas.

"You know... if you don't eat, they'll throw you in solitary and tube feed you" I warned, but she just rolled her eyes, clearly dismissing my words without a second thought.
~~
Erika's p.o.v.

I felt so emotionally dependent on Kage sometimes. The smallest things upset me when I'm around him but I can't deny that my feelings for him have grown quite a bit in such a short amount of time.

"Erika Daniels?" I heard a voice from across the table ask. I looked up and saw a woman with a stern expression on her face.

"What?" I answered with a cold, lifeless tone.

"You're going to have to come with me please," I immediately turned to Kage, not knowing if he could come with me.

"He can come too" The woman said, answering my silent prayers. Kage stood up and held out his hand to guide me out of the lunch room and over to the woman where our hands fell back to our sides.
--
We walked down the hall to the medical examination room when the lady stopped us.

"You go in, he stays out here" She said sternly. I nodded and walked inside.

"Ahh Ms. Daniels; I was hoping you would arrive soon. I am Doctor Pierce" He said, holding out his hand for me to shake.

"Why am I here?" I asked. He just chuckled and said it was mandatory for new patients. I stood on a scale while he measured my height and weight.

"Okay.. When was your last period?" Dr.Pierce questioned.

"About 10 days ago" I said.

"Last time you were sexually active?"

"I haven't been"

"Oh ok sorry... they make me ask these questions" He apologized. I gave him an annoyed smile to show him I wanted to get this over with. He then proceeded to ask me normal stuff like when was my last check up, medical history, allergies, etc.

When I was finally allowed to leave, I sighed with relief as I walked through the door and saw Kage waiting for me.

"Hey what's wrong?" Kage asked, taking a step towards me and fidgeting with his hands.

"Nothing just a mandatory checkup," I told him to calm him down, "You were right though, they do think we fuck like rabbits around here" I added jokingly to make him smile.

Kage laughed and placed his hand on my hip to pull me closer while the nurse showed us back to the activity ward. I blushed and looked down at the floor as I walked. This was probably just a friendly gesture but for some reason or another I saw it as something more.

I guess that's what happens in a 'crazy house.' You find someone you tolerate and then cling onto them for dear life; they become your new family. They become your best friend and your shield from the horrors that really go on in this place that is supposed to keep the general public 'safe' from us 'psychos.'