21

Liam Rawley

It was finally the day of the election at the school and stakes were high between the two running teams.

We were giving one final speech before the voting starts and I just prayed that nothing would go wrong this time, unlike the first 2 times.

Tess was the one giving the speech at the moment.

"I didn't come to curse or make fun of my opponent," She started, "I am so sorry Cindy for everything I have ever said to you and I just want you to know that I respect you as an opponent."She had the guts to be the better person, which I respect, So when you lose, I make sure that we'll still take your ideas into consideration, you two face witch."

There she was.

Everyone cheered for her and she smirked at Cindy before taking a seat.

Then, it was Cindy turned to give a speech and I couldn't help but glance at Jake. He was focused on Cindy but he did turn to face me for two seconds before turning back to Cindy.

I was still angry that he asked me out only to get information on our plans for the election but then again, we were totally winning the school over. Tess had a way to make everyone interested in the election.

"If you vote for Tess McNelly then you're letting a bully win."Cindy started, "She has been nothing but terrible to me by calling me names and threatening to hurt me. The only reason she is doing this whole election thing is that she wants to take it away from me."Actual tears fell down her cheeks, "And I just can't go through this school knowing that someone like her is walking around as our leader."

"She's good."Tess chuckled and I was surprised by how calm she was, "Now she's using the victim card."

"Two can play at that game, "I muttered.

After Cindy was finally done with her speech, it was finally my turn and this time, I wasn't even nervous anymore.

I looked through my flashcards before finally decided to place them down and just wing it, "Cindy claims that my president is bullying her and so on, "I started, "But the truth is, she is the bully. Not only did her Vice President made a homophobic joke to make fun of me, he asked me out on a date and said that he needed to borrow my phone only to go through our ideas. So, do you want a manipulative, homophobic, and plain-out trash as your president?"

Maybe the trash part was too harsh.

"I don't think so, "I mumbled and took a seat.

It was then Jake's turned to give a speech.

"Okay, Liam, "He started and looked directly at me, "So, we did manipulate you, I admit that but at least we're not dating one of the worst people in town."

Brady?

"Here is a picture of Liam kissing kissing Ryan Finley for the second time now."He put on the picture of Ryan forcing himself on me on the slide just a few days ago, "Yeah, you could say that the first one was harassment but the second time just looks like you're asking for it."

&&&&&

I sat on the chair in our prep room and started to sob pathetically. Being harassed by an older boy was already crappy, him forcing himself to kiss me was even more crappier but people saying that I asked for it, now that was just the worst.

"This is my fault."Tess muttered, "Fuck, I'm so sorry, Liam, I knew that having you in this thing was a mistake. I swear that if I see that Jake asshole, I'll make sure he'll pay for what he did."

"We might not win because of me, "I muttered.

"Don't think about that, okay."Laurel said softly and got on her knees to reach the same height as me on the chair while squeezing my hand, "You did your very best and for what it's worth, we are all proud of you."

"Plus, people might actually not mess with you if they think you're dating Ryan," Dan added.

"Dude, "Roy hit him on the shoulder, "Not helping."

"Don't touch me," Dan said and the both of them started to fight like children, which finally made me smile.

"When's the count?" I asked.

"Right now." Laurel pointed out, "But the results won't be in another 2 or 3 more hours, "We're supposed to go back to class and they'll announce it on the assembly after the last period."

"It doesn't really matter if you win."Dan said softly, "You did kick ass on stage."Dan said to me, "And you too, Tess as much as I hate to admit it."

"Thanks," Tess said and I was surprised to see the both of them get along for the first time.

"Come on, " Laurel held out her hand, "We have the same class."

&&&&&&

Tess and I sat on the front seat of the hall while the group cheered for us at the back. Cindy and Jake sat on the other side that was far enough for me to not look at them.

Tess and I were holding each other hands as both of us were very nervous about the results. Losing wouldn't be the worst thing for me but I didn't come this far only to lose it.

"I just want to start with, everyone in the election did extremely well and both teams have my utmost respect."The principal said and Tess's grip on my hand became tighter, "Without any more words, the winner of the election is Cindy Paula and Jake Olson."

The entire hall went silent as both of them got up the stage. There were no applause or cheers. People were just silent.

"This is bull."Someone yelled from the audience and people started to boo.

"What is going on?" I asked Tess.

"I don't know." She said honestly.

"Are we supposed to tolerate bullies that expose people during assembly?"A girl yelled and I realized that it was was actually Tess not long later.

"I see, " Tess pointed at a man that was sitting in the front," She got daddy to write her another check."

People were booing at the two on stage so much that someone threw a drink that landed right on Jake's outfit.

"Calm down, "The principal said sternly.

"No," Tess stood up on the chair, "Are we really gonna let another white girl getting away with something just because her father paid for it?"She said loudly.

"No!" The crowd voiced.

"Then let's ask for a recount." Tess demanded, "Recount!"She chanted three times and not soon later, the crowd started to join her.

"Recount!"

"Recount!"

"Recount!"