24. Suffering

Third-person POV

'I was thinking we make some sort of defensive wall facing the battlefield,' Athena suggested 'We had a wall the last fight but we can work on strengthening this one.'

The room full of gods and head counsellors pondered over the thoughts of the wisdom goddess. Of course it was a good idea. Athena came up with it after all.

'What about we use both the Roman scutum and the Greek hoplon together?' Malcolm from the Athena cabin suggested 'We only used the Roman shields for the phalanx wall before. If we can find a way to implement both shields to form a shield wall, then...'

Everyone thought about the idea. It was a good idea but the demigods still had to find a way to make it work. If they did, then it would not be good for the enemy.

'We can make it work,' Percy said, breaking everyone from their thoughts 'We have, what, four hours until sundown?'

'Why does it matter when it turns dark?' Apollo asked frowning.

'I am awake now.' Percy said like it would clear everything up.

At everyone's confused faces, he sighed, 'Nyx is coming for me, yes? It would make sense she would be attacking now that I am awake.'

A solemn silence fell upon the room as everyone looked at the son of Poseidon in sadness and a bit of pity. Percy promptly ignored the looks he was getting. He had a plan in mind that would save countless lives and he would follow through with it no matter what.

'Well, now is not the time to sit around,' Percy said trying to sound upbeat 'We need to find out how to make this shield thing work.'

The room's occupants mumbled their apologies and started getting out of their seats before making their way out of the conference room. Percy stayed seated in his chair as his friends and family filed out of the room. He sat there lost in his own thoughts as the room slowly became empty. Nobody even batted an eye towards Percy. Everybody had already left him behind. Everybody but one person.

'Hey man,' a voice said, making Percy nearly fall out of his chair 'You okay?'

Percy turned to his right to see a pair of dark brown eyes boring into him. He leaned backwards and smiled slightly when he recognised the face of Nico di Angelo looking at him with concern.

'Yeah, yeah,' Percy said as he rubbed his eyes and sat up straighter 'Never better.'

Nico continued staring at Percy for a few seconds before he decided to speak, 'You lie worse than Will.'

Percy gasped at his cousin dramatically but Nico continued, 'Tell me. I want to know what's on your mind.'

'Don't worry about it, Nico,' Percy said as he stood up 'I'm fine, I swear.'

'No, you're not,' Nico said as he moved to stand right in front of Percy 'For gods sake, just let someone help you for once.'

Percy looked into Nico's frustrated eyes. Nico really wanted to know what was bothering his cousin so much. Percy had helped him so much, maybe even too much, when they were younger. Nico just really wanted to return the favour. It was the least he could do.

'Look, Nico,' Percy sighed 'I'm fine. It's just the war, I swear. I'm just tired, that's all.'

Percy decided to tell his cousin only half the truth. He didn't want to burden him with this war in progress as well.

Nico narrowed his eyes at Percy but relented and sighed, 'Okay, Perce. I believe you.'

'Thanks, Neeks.' Percy said cheekily.