25

Alice Avery

When I was in high school I had to read Romeo and Juliet for my English class. The forbidden love story was a tragic one, most of my classmates were infatuated with the idea of love after reading the story. Love is something that cannot be defined in my opinion, there truly are no words to describe it. You'd expect me to hate love, to not believe in it. Although I do and I surprise myself with how much I want it. Most times I think I can't find it is because I unknowingly distance myself from it; terrified of experiencing heartbreak. The idea of my fairytale love story had been ruined by a multitude of things, I too was one of those things. I couldn't bring myself to be anything less than independent, that's been my mindset for years but still in the depths of my brain all I desire is to be loved.

"What's going on in that head of yours?" Ricky broke me from my pondering, we continued swaying side to side to the sweet music.

"Everything," I admitted.

"You want me to help clear your mind?" He had a smirk present while he winked at me. I laughed at his sexual manner.

His eyes moved to look at something behind me and his face suddenly turned glum, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I knew who it was automatically, his presence just brought negativity to the air.

"Colton." I sneered with a clenched jaw. Ricky and I dropped our hand and turned to him.

"I apologize for interrupting your moment but Alice hun, we still have some unfinished business."

He was impossible to shut up, he just kept talking and talking. It was harassment. 17-year old me would've adored this, my little naïve self. I would've thought it was caring and sweet. However, I grew up.

"Leave," I stated.

"Don't talk to me like that." He demanded and took a step closer to me.

"Leave," I forced once again.

"Now why would I do that when I've finally found you after all these years." His smile was evil, Colton's fingers brushed across my collarbone and twirled the ends of my hair.
I clasped my hand around his wrist. his face fell. My eyes burned into his; confidence being to only emotion I portrayed.

"Leave or I'll drag you out myself."

He ripped his arm away from my grasp and adjusted the dress shirt under his suit jacket. He attempted to play it off cool, he was embarrassed.

"Sleep with one eye open, you'll get what's comin' to you."

He stormed away without another word, I watched his back as he made his way to the elevator. I felt Ricky's hands slide up to my shoulders.

"Want me to catch up to him and kick his ass?"

I turned back around to face him, "I'm not even gonna joke to you about it 'cause I know you'll actually do it."

"It's not like he doesn't deserve it," he muttered harshly.

"Well if it makes you feel any better I'm proud that you didn't pounce on him."

He stared at me for a few seconds then tilted his head to the side, "What did he whisper to you before he left?"

"He just tried to get under my skin, threw a few insults at me."

I was a talented liar. Why did I lie? There's things Ricky doesn't need to know, he doesn't need to know that my ex boyfriend is trying to threaten me. Who knows what Ricky would do if he found that out. A part of me was insanely curious by what Colton was implying, another part of me couldn't care less. What exactly was coming for me?