Choosing ceremony

The beeping of the elevator started to annoy me. A few seconds quiet... beep.... quiet.....beep. I hadn't talked to Beatrice yet, and it worried me. I hadn't had a chance to. After being sick last night and having to get straight up to get to the choosing ceremony, its been a hassle. Same with Daniel, I saw him on the way here, he tried to talk to me but I ignored him. I ran for the elevator with my mum behind me. He came up and I pointed to the max limit before the doors closed. It might have been harsh but I am not going to make him fall out with his friends because of me. I'm a troublemaker, always have been. My head was still running on what I should choose, I wanted to trust the test, and it failed me.

The final beep rang through the elevator as we all started to file out. The parents went and sat down in seats that were cut off in sections. Faction areas. Everyone who was choosing stood in rows. We would be called out reverse alphabetical order, Beatrice before me, Daniel after me. Beatrice stood in front of me and watched Markus as he done the choosing ceremony speech. "Hey." I whispered. Beatrice turned around startled. She looked at me and smiled looking relieved.

"Hey," She looked at the stage. "What are you choosing?" I shrugged. "What about trust the test?"

"I don't trust the test." She looked at me confused. I looked at her wrist and smiled. "You've got the bracelet on." She smiled at me and nodded.

"You too." I nodded. "Well, should we choose the same faction? I mean... I don't want to be alone." I looked at her startled. "I mean you don't need to..." She started to ramble.

"No, no, it's alright. I don't know where to go anyway." She smiled at me. "So where?" I eyed the stones for Abnegation, the glass for Candor, the water for Erudite, the burning coals for Dauntless, and the dirt for Amity.

"I don't know, I thought you would." We giggled, earning glares from Candor's. I glared back and looked at Tris.

"You choose. You're going first. Whatever you choose, I trust you." I whispered to her. I felt a tap on my shoulder making me turn around. Daniel looked at me and seemed to grimace at himself, like he chose a bad idea.

"Hey." He pushed out.

"Hi." I said. My voice wasn't hostile nor kind.

"What you choosing?" I shrugged.

"Whatever Tris chooses." He nodded before looking confused.

"Tris?"

"Beatrice Prior." He nodded again and looked at the bowls, making himself look over my head.

"Can I come with you's?" My eyes widened.

"What?" We whispered back and forth, making me fail to realise the rows were growing shorter.

"I can't go back. And I don't want to go to a new faction and not know anybody." I raised an eyebrow.

"Can't go back?" He nodded and shoved his head towards Max. My eyes widened as I saw the swollen cheek and bruised lip. "Right."

"He'll kill me." I nodded.

"Fine." I turned back to Beatrice and told her about the scenario we were in. She agreed which meant I would have two friends with me. I felt relieved all of a sudden. Before it hit me, whatever Beatrice chooses, I will be going. Mum. I looked over to Amity, meeting her eyes. She had already been looking at me. I gave her a pleading look, I didn't want to stay, she knew that. She nodded towards me with a soft smile, I don't think she'll cry. She will get to meet me after a week of me being in my new faction. And I would come visit her when I finish initiation, she knew that.

"Beatrice Prior." I looked at her and looked at her shocked face.

"What's wrong?" I asked. She looked over to Erudite and I followed. There was grey clothes sitting at the front. I recognised who it was immediately. Caleb chose to leave his family for the place that is trying to ruin it. I glared with disbelief. One of the most selfless people I thought I knew went to a place that craved knowledge, stole it, and ruined the government cause they want it. Was it selflessness or manipulation?