Chapter 29- It All Comes Undone

"Alright," Professor Slughorn stood in the front of the classroom, the little light casting a green glow in the dungeon. "Today we will be identifying potions."

"What's up with you and Lily?" James whispered from where he sat next to Evelyn. A frown creased his forehead as he ignored Slughorn's instructions. "The two of you haven't looked at each other for days."

Evelyn sighed, biting her lip as she casted a glance in Lily's direction. The redhead hadn't uttered a word to her since their argument and whenever they were both in the same room, one made an excuse to conveniently leave. "We got into a fight."

"About what?" James leaned forward; his hazel eyes open in earnest. "I can help." He shot her a smug look, "I happen to be an expert psychologist on matters of the female mind."

"Oh really?" Evelyn caught his gaze for instant, but looked away quickly, feeling a pang of sadness.

"There!" James leaned forward, visibly frustrated. "You've been acting strange with me too!"

"Mr. Potter!"

James jumped as Slughorn appeared behind him, the professor's face creased with disapproval.

"Since you obviously have been paying attention, why don't you go ahead and smell the Amortentia brewing up there?"

"Amortentia?" James looked uncomfortable, running a hand through his hair anxiously. "Isn't that a—"

"Love potion?" Slughorn bobbed his head eagerly. "Quite right. Now tell us what you smell," he shot Evelyn a wink and she shrunk back, feeling a wave of dread. "I reckon it might fix your lover's quarrel."

James looked like he wanted to argue, but at Slughorn's expression got up and walked quickly toward the cauldron at the front of the room. Leaning his head over its contents, the class watched in anticipation.

"I smell broom polish," James inhaled deeply, the fumes causing his hair to stand straight up. "And my mum's treacle tart."

Evelyn felt a wave of relief as the boy leaned back, but her reassurance was fleeting as James went pale.

"What is it, my boy?" Slughorn chuckled, beaming with amusement. "Nothing horrid, I presume."

"Lilies." The word was nearly inaudible as James stared at the ground. "I smell lilies."

Evelyn's cheeks burned as she felt the stares of the students begin to turn her direction. Not trusting herself to hold back her tears, she stood quickly. "I have to use the lavatory Professor."

Without waiting for a response, she stumbled out of the classroom in a daze, trying to keep her dignity. The second she was out of sight, Evelyn collapsed against a stone gargoyle, running a hand through her hair and undoing her ponytail.

"Eve.."

She looked up to see James standing above her, his face ashen and she shook her head. "No let me talk." She closed her eyes, struggling to keep her voice even. "You should go to her. And let me be."

"No," James took a step closer, his expression pained. "I won't do that to you."

Evelyn snorted, blinking back the tears from her eyes. "I don't know how long you've been harboring these feelings Potter, and I do wish I would have known earlier." She paused, pursing her lips and clenching her hands together to keep them from shaking. "I guess I just chose to ignore it. But I can't anymore and neither can you. So, please. Go before this just gets more painful." Her voice caught in desperation, a tear trickling down her cheek.

James shook his head, running a hand through his hair. "We can figure this out. We—"

"JAMES JUST GO!" Evelyn forced, feeling a tightness clench her chest. James flinched as she turned away, unable to meet his eyes. "Please."

There was a pause before she heard him turn and slowly walk away, his footsteps fading into the distance. Fumbling in her pocket, Evelyn felt the coin that Moody had given her months ago and she pressed it firmly. There was a brief pop as the walls of Hogwarts swirled away, fading into darkness.

After a few moments, her vision cleared and Evelyn picked herself up from the ground, her eyes wide. She was in a rather odd-looking office, full of disturbing pictures and random objects. An umbrella stand in the shape of a troll's foot stood in the corner, while an entire army of dark detectors lined the floor in a circle.

"What can I do for you, Snape?"

Evelyn turned to see Alastor sitting in the corner, his eye scanning her carefully.

"Look like you've been through a nasty breakup."

A hysterical bubble of laughter burst from Evelyn's lips. She quickly covered her mouth, feeling a wave of embarrassment. "You don't know the half of it."

"I'm not here for relationship advice," Alastor grunted, leaning on a large wooden staff. "Why are you really here?"

Evelyn stood a bit taller, her expression firm. "I'm ready to join the Order."