We're coming home

"Is this everything?" David asked Mrs Barnes, taking hold of a small suitcase from the front entryway of the house Beau had called a home for the last year.

On the staircase sat Bradley and two other kids, watching with a hint of bitterness as we prepared for Beau to leave and come home with us. Every foster kids dream.

"Yes, that's all. I know it's not much," Mrs Barnes says looking guilty, but Sophia touches her arm and gives her a sympathetic look, telling her that she understands completely.

"Thank you, you've done a great job. He is a good kid and I can tell you have been a good influence on his life," Sophia tells her.

"Ok Beau, say goodbye to your friends," I said trying to usher us out of the house before we missed our flight.

With the help of Carla, Helen and Daniel we were able to rush through the system allowing us to take Beau home with us. It still felt so surreal that I had a brother and that he was coming to live with me, well at least for the summer before we return to college, but I would always know where he is and that he is in the best care. In just a week this small boy had wormed his way into my heart so much so, I can't imagine not ever knowing him.

As Beau said goodbye, I spoke to Mrs. Barnes. "Feel free to call me if you want to speak to him, you have my number," I told her sincerely.

"Thank you dear, I truely wish you both all the best," she said wrapping me up in a motherly hug.

"You are doing a fantastic job here. It's rare to find some of the best ones, you and Helen are amazing women and Beau and I were lucky."

Once everyone said goodbye we climbed into the car and drove off with Mrs. Barnes and the other kids all standing by the front gate waving us off. Beau sat up in his seat, watching them go out the back window until we turned the corner and couldn't see them anymore.

Arriving at the airport held so much excitement for Beau, he had never been on a plane before or even up close to any. Every time a plane roared overhead as they took off or landed he looked up to the sky in amazement, his little green eyes brighter and wider than ever.

"Look at that one!" He would point and because you should always do what a six year old tells you, we looked up too.

When we sat in the lounge pre flight, David and Sophia enjoyed a quiet coffee together while Joey and I sat with Beau by the window watching all of the planes taxi in and out of the runway and all the little people on the runway working.

"I want to fly planes when I'm a grown up! This is so cool!" Beau exclaimed.

"You can be anything you want to be, buddy," I smiled at him and for him. Knowing that from now on, both of our lives were going to be very different. Not just because the Cameron's are loaded, but because we have each other and we have love, kindness and family surrounding us. Something we both lacked for too long and were denied of without even knowing it.

I looked up from Beau to see Joey already watching me. Even without words I could see the pure love in his eyes. "You happy?" He mouthed. I nodded and mouthed back, "Very."

When the plane took off, I took a moment to look over Beau's head out the window at the city. I saw the ocean as the plane turned, the beautiful blues and greens morphing into white as it hit the sand. The city buildings and then the suburbs. From our low height I could still make out football fields and basketball courts.

Everyone has a starting point in life, this place was mine. Sometimes people stay in the one spot, forming an unbreakable connection. Some want to leave because the memories are too painful.