Chapter 6

Darcy arrived at Longbourn late the following morning. He, also, had slept precious little the previous night. He did not know that his pride could stand it if Elizabeth's dislike of him was so strong that she would choose a town butcher over him. He hoped that he would not have to find out.

Elizabeth was alone in the sitting room when he was introduced. She was shaking a bit and she tried her hardest to calm herself. She did not want Mr. Darcy to know how very nervous she was.

Darcy was even more nervous, although he was better at hiding his emotions than she. He watched as she rose from the settee and walked over to him.

"I have considered your offer, sir," she said, "and I accept. I will become your wife."

Darcy let out a breath he did not even know that he was holding. He reached for her hand, and she hesitated for a moment before putting her hand in his.

"I could not be happier," he said, working to keep his voice even.

She distrusted his words, but she was filled with relief not to marry the butcher. The mere thought of what might happen to her as Mr. Rowe's wife made her shudder. Surely a marriage to Mr. Darcy must be preferable.

"What comes next?" she whispered, some of the fear that she felt trickling into her voice.

"Next, I believe that we plan for a wedding."

"That should not be difficult. As we are still in mourning, it will need to be a small affair."

"Whatever you desire," he said, and he meant those words in every way possible.

***

Elizabeth stared across the table at her new husband. She did not know if she could ever reconcile the word "husband" with Mr. Darcy. Yet she did have to admit he had been exceptionally kind.

He had accompanied her to tell Mr. Rowe that she had accepted another offer. Elizabeth was grateful for Darcy's presence, as she did not trust the butcher to handle the situation in a mannered way. Indeed, her suspicions were proven quite correct.

"Found a fancy man, did you?" Mr. Rowe had sneered at her. "I ought to have known that it was money that would turn your head."

Elizabeth could think of no response - had Mr. Rowe not made it clear that the only benefit he could provide her was a degree of financial security? Who was he to judge her?

"I will thank you not to speak to my fiancee in that manner," Darcy had said, a hint of a growl making its way into his voice. "Come, Elizabeth. There is nothing else to be done here."

"And do not think of coming to me for arrangements for a wedding feast!" Mr. Rowe had called out behind them, unable to allow them to leave without one final word.

"You flatter yourself, sir," said Darcy, swinging the door to the butcher shop closed behind him and escorting a very relieved Elizabeth back to Longbourn.

Darcy also had handled the arrangements for the wedding, which was a small affair as Elizabeth had requested. And now he sat at the Bennets' table eating a quiet meal with the family, who were still in mourning, rather than throwing a larger wedding brunch. Elizabeth could not believe that this was the same man who had callously dismissed her as "not handsome enough" upon their first meeting.

None of this meant she entirely trusted him. She did not have a good explanation for the change in his actions towards her. She did have to admit, however, that she could think of no benefit that he received from marrying her. She certainly did not bring a large dowry to the marriage and she was not as fashionable or as sophisticated as the other women in his social circle. Try as she might, she could not find a selfish motive to assign to him in regards to their marriage.