Chapter 29

The following day was a flurry of arrivals, greetings, and issues that arose at the last minute. Elizabeth barely had a moment to herself, but she did not mind. The busier she was, the quieter her mind. However, she was still suffering from fatigue and nausea, and it was difficult to find an escape, even for a few moments, to deal with the difficulties of early pregnancy. After lunch, Elizabeth found that she got a burst of energy and her stomach seemed to settle itself. She was grateful for the cessation of her symptoms and hoped that her luck would hold through the ball the following day.

The Bingleys and the Hursts arrived in the early afternoon. Elizabeth took advantage of her renewed energy and ran to greet them, ignoring Miss Bingley's and Mrs. Hurst's shared look over the impropriety of the mistress of the house running.

"Jane!" she said, embracing her sister. "I am so glad to see you."

Remembering her manners, she turned to the remainder of the party. "You are all very welcome at Pemberley," she said.

"Mrs. Darcy, we feared that you might hurt yourself, you approached the carriage with such speed!" said Miss Bingley, confirming Elizabeth's suspicion that she had changed not one bit since the last time they were in one another's presence.

"Thank you for your concern for my safety, but as you can see, I am quite well," she said.

"But you do look pale," said Miss Bingley with mock concern. "Are you able to get enough rest, or does management of Pemberley take up all your time?"

"Management of the estate does take up a portion of my time, but it is labor that I am happy to do. My health is quite well, but thank you for your concern," Elizabeth said, giving Miss Bingley a tight smile that she hoped would end the conversation.

Miss Bingley seemed to decide that there was ample time to criticize her hostess later, and turned to follow her brother, sister, and brother-in-law into the house.

"How you bear it, I will never know," said Elizabeth to Jane.

"I think she has realized that she is stuck with me, so she saves her words for other targets," said Jane.

"Well, she shall not find a target in me."

"But she will certainly try. Be cautious of her, Lizzy."

"Miss Bingley's unpleasantness is something that I can handle. Now, come inside. I have the most wonderful news to share with you."

***

"Oh, Lizzy!" Jane said, tears in her eyes. "A child! You and Darcy are truly blessed. What did he say when you told him?"

"I have not told him yet," Elizabeth said. "I want to wait for the calm after the ball is over."

"Do you think that is the best idea? It seems he should know of your delicate condition."

"I have only known for a short time," said Elizabeth. "He will know within a few days."

"I know better than to try and talk you out of it," said Jane with a laugh. "I promise I will not tell a soul."

"Especially Mama!"

"Yes, of course not Mama. Oh dear. With her first grandchild on the way, she will be even more animated than usual."

"Shall we survive such a thing?" said Elizabeth, smiling. "Perhaps it is best that I will tell her in a letter. It is probably safest to be several counties away when she discovers it."

"I am so very happy for you, Lizzy."

"I hope the same happiness for you, Jane. The only thing that could increase my joy would be for you to share in it."