Ch.8 Sinking Ships

Chapter 8

Killian and Kiara sat in a bubble of silence as they waited for Gemma to show up for training. It was their first day. Neither one knew what to expect.

Kiara's face had grown pale. She didn't bother with putting on makeup or doing anything to her hair. She was dressed in a navy blue sweater and dark jeans, the colors only making her dark hair stand out even more. Killian took notice of how her collarbones had started to show. Her cheeks were also a bit more hollow. She hadn't been sleeping well and it was evident on her face.

While Killian took notice of Kiara, she took the time to observe him. His dark hair was messy and tousled as if he had just run his fingers through it. He wore the gray v-neck shirt Kiara had picked out for him on their last vacation together and paired it off with blue jeans. Out of habit, his leg bounced up and down as his eyes shifted to the door. Kiara reached out and placed a hand over his knee and stopped him.

"Are you okay?" He asked, turning his head towards her.

Kiara nodded, "What about you?"

"Yeah," Killian sighed and ran a hand through his already messy hair. "I'm fine."

"You're worried about seeing Gemma," Kiara frrowned, seeing right through his words.

"No, I'm not," Killian lied.

"She's really nice," Kiara said quietly. "If she had never met Exton, there is a chance she would have been my mother."

"Then you would be a blonde," Killian titled his head back and looked up at the ceiling.

"You like blondes," Kiara said, but paused immediately. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Killian look over at her but she didn't turn to see what kind of expression he had on his face.

Once again the two fell into another prolonged period of silence as the clock on the wall ticked by slowly. They knew Gemma was in the building. They had seen her go into Clare's office earlier. What could they possibly be talking about for so long?

Kiara didn't want to let her mind start wandering. That was a horrible idea. She knew she would think up the worst things possible and overwhelm herself into a panic. So instead, she decided to focus her attention on how many times Killian shifted in his seat restlessly like a caged bird.

After several long minutes and after Killian moved around in his chair over a hundred times, the door to the room finally opened and the tall blonde woman walked in with Clare. Gemma's youthful face had aged from it's evergreen twenty year old self to a radiant beauty in her late thirties. She had even put on a bit of weight. It all looked very fine on her. She exuded grace and charm.

"Good morning, you two," Gemma smiled upon walking in.

"Good morning," Killian and Kiara mumbled under their breaths.

"How are you guys?" Gemma took a seat across the table from the pair. Clare hovered by the door for a bit before clearing her throat.

"I'll be in my office if you need anything," she said.

"Alright, thank you babe," Gemma waved her off before turning to Kiara once more. "How are we feeling?"

"Tired," Kiara shrugged.

"Why? Are you not sleeping well?"

"Not really."

"What's going on?" Gemma frowned. "Are you having bad dreams?"

"No..." Kiara shook her head. "I.....I don't know if they are dreams or if......"

"It feels like they might be your memory?" Gemma gave a sad smile.