Ch.31 Nightmares

Chapter 31

Kiara's eyes flew open as she sat up in bed, gripping the thick blanket that was laid over her. Her heart raced and her throat dried up like the African desert. She felt a throbbing pain in the back of her eyes as she squinted in the bright light.

"Are you okay?" Brody jumped up from where he was sitting on the chair beside her. "What's wrong?"

Kiara turned her eyes to look at the boy as he waited for her to answer. Her mind started to race as she reached for his hand.

"I'm fine," she said, her voice raspy.

"Bad dream?" Brody asked as he sat down beside her and draped an arm around her shoulder.

"Nightmare," Kiara said. She looked around the small infirmary, not remembering how she had ended up on the narrow uncomfortable bed.

"How are you feeling?" Brody asked as he tucked her hair to one side and kissed her cheek.

"Fine," Kiara said. "I need water."

"Okay," Brody nodded. "Anything else?"

"No," Kiara shook her head as Brody got off the bed.

"I'll go get you some water," he said. "Then let's head back to the dorms. We can go to town for breakfast or something."

Kiara nodded. She sat up and scooted back on the bed to lean against the wooden headboard. Her stomach growled and the idea of breakfast sounded mouthwatering.

"I'll be right back," Brody said as he leaned forward and placed a quick kiss on Kiara's lips.

"Okay," Kiara nodded once more as she watched Brody push the curtain aside and walk towards the door. She heard the sound of the knob click and then the shut once again before the room grew extremely quiet.

But before Kiara could take in a single breath, the curtains pulled back to reveal Killian sitting on the bed beside her with a grin on his face.

"Did you just call me a nightmare?" He asked.

"Yes," Kiara looked up at the curtain rods and willed the energy to draw the fabric between them once more.

"Which option are you choosing?" Killian asked, pushing the curtains open once more.

"Neither."

"You don't care what happens to Macy?"

Kiara turned to him with her eyes narrowed and her lips pressed into a thin line.

"I'm not going to let you do it, you do realize that right?" She asked. "My father is the god of the underworld. I am the Angel of death. You're not going to lay a finger on Macy."

"So you're not making a deal?"

"No," Kiara looked away. "I don't make deals with the devil."

"You're picking Brody," Killian stared at Kiara's face.

"And Macy," Kiara said as she willed the curtains to close again.

"Why him?" Killian asked as he stopped the curtains from moving.

"Why not him?" Kiara tugged the curtains with her mind.

"Because you don't like him."

"I do like him."

"You don't like him that much," Killian rolled his eyes.

"I do like him that much," Kiara snapped. "He's good to me. I know what he wants and he knows what I want. I don't have to play mind games with him. Things are.....simple."