Ch.32 And then the princess ran away

Chapter 32

Kiara stood by the door as the doctor in the pale green scrubs checked Macy's charts and took notes of her condition. She wanted to know so many things but Kiara had no idea where to start.

When the door opened and Killian walked back into the room with Clare, Kiara felt her face fall into a deep frown.

"How long will she stay like this?" She asked, not sure whom.

Clare looked at Killian with gentle eyes, "Killian? How long does she have?"

"It's not going to happen !" Kiara shook her head before Killian could answer. "Clare, you've changed people's fate before. Azazel had changed fates before. Why is it suddenly so forbidden for Macy?"

"It was always forbidden," Clare sighed. "But now more than ever."

"Why?" Kiara demanded.

"Because nothing has been the same ever since the war. Tensions are still very high. Even years later..."

Kiara looked away with angry tears in her eyes. She felt Clare walk up to her and place a hand on her shoulder.

"The fallout of war can be deadly," she said slowly. "We must do our best to keep the broken pieces of this work in place."

"One life won't make a difference," Kiara turned to look at Macy. "She's good. The world needs good people like her."

"You must know of the butterfly effect," Clare followed her eyes to Macy. "Something all it takes is one small push to have the whole world crumble."

Kiara shook her head, "I don't agree with this."

"You will still get to see her," Clare assured her. "You're right, she is good. She will have a long life In the Elysian field."

"What about her parents?"

"Death is a natural part of life," Clare said. "People will grieve, but time will heal them. They will move on."

Kiara had no words left. She felt numb and hopeless all at the same time. Her lungs struggled to take in air as she flew through levels of anger in her mind. She stood rooted to her spot as Clare walked over to the doctor and spoke to him in a hushed tone. Killian took a step closer and waited for Kiara to say something.

"She was applying to schools in New York," Kiara said after a while. "She would have gotten into any school she applied to."

"I'm sure she would have," Killian said.

Kiara slowly turned to look at him. Her eyes were lost and broken. The pool of tears in them made Killian's chest ache. He wanted to pull her into his arms and tell her he would make everything right.

"Are you two staying?" Clare's voice snapped Killian out of his head.

"Yes," Kiara nodded. "Well, I am. I'm not sure about Killian."

"I'll stay if you're staying," Killian said slowly.

Clare nodded as she ushered the doctor out of the room. Kiara stood by the door awkwardly, not sure where to go. She fiddled with the ring on her finger and looked everywhere but at Killian.

"I think the avocado toast is cold by now," Killian looked at the brown bag he had sat down on the table by the window.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Kiara followed his eyes.

Killian slowly walked over to the table and picked up the bag. He tossed it in the trash before picking up a chair and carrying it over to the side of the bed.