Ch.33 Tug and Pull

Chapter 33

Kiara's hand felt ice cold as she turned the keys to her room and locked the door. Brody waited behind her with her small bag as he looked over his shoulder to where Jacob and Shelby waited for Kenna.

"Ready?" he asked as Kiara pushed her keys into her pocket.

"Yes," Kiara nodded, pushing a smile to her lips.

"Guys!" Brody called to the group standing at the end of the hall. "Let's go."

As Jacob and the girls began to walk towards Kiara's room, Birdie's door opened and the silver haired girl walked out with a sour look on her face. She didn't notice Kiara or Brody as she looked over her shoulder at Killian.

Kiara's invisible heart leaped up for a brief moment before sinking to the bottom of the ocean once more. She tried not to stare for Brody's sake as Killian pulled Birdie's door close and looked up. Their eyes connected and for the first time in their life, it felt as if there was more than just distance between them.

"Killian," Jacob called out, catching everyone's attention. "There's still time. I don't have a roommate yet."

Killian dragged his eyes away from Kiara's face and looked at Jacob, "I'm good.....thanks."

"Come on, Killian," Shelby insisted. "It won't be the same without you."

"He doesn't want to come, Shel," Brody said.

Kiara slowly reached out and took his warm hand and tugged him back beside her. Their slight movements caught Killian's eyes and he felt the air in his lungs vanish.

"Brody's right," he said, his eyes never leaving Kiara's hand holding the boy.

"What about you, Birdie?" Kenna looked at the girl sulking behind Killian.

"I don't like snakes," Birdie said.

"There are no snakes in Scotland," kenna laughed. "At least I don't think so."

"I'm sure I can find at least two."

Shelby, who had more brain than Kenna, glared at Birdie. Her glossed lips twisted as she tried to think of something to say.

"We should get going," Brody cleared his throat as the group stood around awkwardly. Kiara felt Brody turn towards her and lift her hand with the gold ring. "You ready, love?"

Kiara nodded, "Yes."

She began to turn her ring to the left three times and conjure up the images of the hotel Brody had shown her. Shelby turned to look at Killian once more as the air in front of them began to shimmer and swirl.

"My room is on the third floor," she said. "Just in case you change your mind."'

Killian didn't even hear her comment as he watched Kiara hide from his gaze beside Brody. His chest ached as he looked for something to say to her.

"You're an idiot," Birdie muttered behind him. "Say something. She's leaving."

"I'm not going to stop her," Killian turned away as Kiara stepped through the portal with Brody. "She won't like that."

"Who cares if she won't like it!" Birdie snapped. "She's going to another country with a bunch of bitches she doesn't even like."

"Kiara can handle herself," Killian sighed. "They won't mess with her."

"You're still an idiot."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."