20.

Harry.

"This drive blows," Niall groaned into the phone. "I wish we could of just flown there."

I had my phone between my shoulder and my ear as I flickered through the money in my hand. Ten thousand should be enough, I told myself as I wrapped the elastic band around it. I was relieved that I had the common sense not deposit the money I earned into my bank account on a regular basis. If I had, then my whereabouts would of been tracked easily. I knew they were coming for us, but without too much of a digital footprint, it just made it that little bit harder to track us down. I knew it wouldn't be too long until they caught up to us, which was why I was wanting to move quickly. Even using my personal phone was risky, but I refused to go a few days without checking in on Niall.

Unfortunately there was a bit of a delay in our travels because the rain had only stopped falling a few hours ago. I was up, bright and early, after getting breakfast for Sophia. I had ducked out of the room to take care of a few things. Paying the nice man at the front desk, being one of them.

I had called Niall on my way out, wanting an update on how his solo trip to Vegas was planning out. Unlike us, he had decided to brave the storm and drive through it. If he had stopped, I doubt he would of been able to sleep anyway. He had enough cocaine in his system to run three marathons.

"You should of just came with me," I told him, running a hand through my hair as I stared out at the motel parking lot.

The morning smell of fresh rain and wet grass filled my senses and I took a deep breath, soaking it in. It was a moment of peace. A moment where I could pretend that I didn't have the world and the lives of the people around me weighing on my shoulders.

"And deal with the stripper?" He snorted. "Hard pass. I'm a lone wolf." He let out a howl and laughed.

I rolled my eyes. Niall was far from that. He needed me as much as I needed him, so I was worried when he wouldn't change him mind about coming with Spice  and I on the long road trip. Niall calmed me down from my urges, and I pulled him away from his cocaine addiction and the carelessness that followed it. I only prayed that there wouldn't be a trail of dead bodies following Niall up to New York. That could end up being a problem.

"Are you stopping soon?" I asked him, my eyes suddenly focusing on the man who had sat at reception last night. He had gotten up from the desk, looking tired as he wandered over to the public toilets that were located next to the shit excuse for a reception. I'm surprised he hadn't frozen to death last night. I tried my best not to look suspicious as he gave me a wave and ducked away to do his business.

Poor man, I thought to myself. He must of stayed up all night. Hopefully this cheers him up.

One he had disappeared, I made my way over to his desk, scribbling down our room number on a loose sticky note along with a brief message of thanks. I stuck it onto the wad of cash and hid it behind his computer. Hopefully he found it once Sophia and I had left.

"Soon," Niall said, and I heard him yawn. "I think I'll crash when I get a bit closer. I've been driving all night, a little more won't hurt."

"It'll hurt when you fall asleep behind the wheel," I replied, sighing. I knew he wouldn't listen to me, but it didn't hurt to remind him.

I made my way back up the stairs quickly, not wanting to get caught at his desk. We needed to get going anyway. It was only 8AM but the longer we stayed here, the more of a chance it was that someone would catch up to us. Given the fact I didn't exactly know who they were sending out, made the whole thing that much more stressful.

"Yeah yeah," Niall dismissed. "How's the Stripper doing? You killed her yet?"

I chuckled, just as I opened the door to the room. I stood by the door and took a peak inside. Spice laid across her bed in an awkward angle, her legs dangling off the bed as she slept. Soft snores fell from her as her chest rose and fell, and I couldn't help but appreciate how peaceful she looked when she slept. I crackled my knuckles as I watched on.