ix | excalibur

"where did you say lia came to camelot from?"

[1.9 — Excalibur]

Everyone was gathered in the Hall of Ceremonies

Everyone was gathered in the Hall of Ceremonies. It was the day of Arthur's twenty-first birthday and the kingdom had been preparing for weeks. Not only was it a grand celebration, but he had finally come of age. It was time for him to be appointed as the Crown Prince of Camelot. As the Heir Apparent, not much would change, except for Arthur taking on a few more duties. However, the ceremony set in stone the fact that Arthur would be the next King of Camelot once Uther passed, and no one could legitimately contest it.

Arthur was kneeling before Uther, ready to take his vows.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs, and laws laid down by your forebears?"

"I do, Sire."

"Do you promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgments?"

"I do, Sire."

"And do you swear allegiance to Camelot, now and for as long as you shall live?"

"I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples," Arthur recited. Lia smiled, knowing that Merlin had been practicing with him for days to make sure he didn't say the wrong thing.

Uther then grabbed the thin, golden crown off a pillow, and lowered it onto Arthur's head. "Now being of age and heir apparent, from henceforth, you shall be Crown Prince of Camelot."

Uther smiled proudly down at his son as the court applauded, who then stood to face the crowd.

"So how does it feel to be servant to the Crown Prince of Camelot?" Gwen asked Merlin in a teasing tone.

"Washing his royal socks will be even more of a privilege," Merlin muttered, not wanting to give away how pleased he was.

"You're proud of him, really. Even though you complain about him constantly," Lia said, nudging his side. "You can't lie to me."

"I am not," Merlin denied.

"You are," Gwen said, smiling. "I can see it in your face."

"Those socks are very clean. Of course, I'm proud of them," Merlin stated, making the girls laugh.

Their joy was cut off by the large stained-glass window breaking. A knight, dressed in black armor, burst in on a horse. Screams erupted throughout the room as all the knights of Camelot drew their swords. The Black Knight slowly approached the group of warriors, stopping right in front of Arthur.

But the knight did not attack as everyone expected. Instead, he threw down his gauntlet at Arthur's feet. Arthur sheathed his sword and moved to pick it up, but another, much younger knight, beat him to it.