x | love in the time of dragons

| again, this is a filler chapter. it is a bit short, but i promise things will pick up in the upcoming chapters |

"are you saying i am not a lover?"

[3.10 — Love in the Time of Dragons]

One particular adjustment to Lia's new way of life that was difficult to get used to was the fact that she was no longer a physician

One particular adjustment to Lia's new way of life that was difficult to get used to was the fact that she was no longer a physician. So, when Gaius met with Uther in the council chamber to address an issue, Lia was meant to sit quietly at the table as no more than a council member.

"Gaius, there have been disturbing rumors from outlying villages," Uther told him.

"Sire?" Gaius asked.

"Someone, some kind of physician is offering treatments. I fear magic may have been used," he stated.

"What is it that makes you suspicious?"

"There are reports of miracle cures. A boy thrown from a horse, a farmhand mauled by a boar. All hopeless cases it seems, and yet each and every one has made a full recovery," he explained.

Lia softly bit her lip, knowing she was not supposed to give her input on the situation. Even if it was not a formal council meeting — only she, Uther, Gaius, Arthur, and Merlin were in the room — Gaius was really the only one that was being addressed.

"It's very hard for me to comment, Sire," Gaius told him. "I'd have to examine the patients myself."

"That won't be necessary, as a new case has arisen here in Camelot," Uther revealed.

"Who?"

"The innkeeper," Arthur told him. "He's returned to work."

"That's not possible," Lia could not help but state, her eyes wide. Sure, maybe she had accompanied Gaius on a medical visit or two in her free time without Uther finding out. And the innkeeper had been one of them.

"The condition was critical," Gaius agreed. "I saw him only days ago."

"So you agree that magic must be involved," Uther pressed.

"Well, I couldn't say for sure," he replied.

"Then go to the tavern and find out. If sorcery is at work here, we must act quickly," Uther ordered.

"Yes, Sire. I'll see to it right away," Gaius said. He and Merlin bowed before leaving the chambers.

Uther then turned to Lia and raised an eyebrow. "And how are you aware of the innkeeper's condition?"

Lia smiled sheepishly, knowing by the look on his face that the King was not severely mad at her. "I apologize, Sire. I heard about Evoric's illness and only wanted to check on him myself, as his wife is always kind enough to put back fresh eucalyptus sprigs for me on Thursdays before selling the rest."