xiii | the last dragonlord

"in addition to being sweet and gentle and caring, i am secretly a menace."

[2.13 — The Last Dragonlord]

Camelot was burning to the ground

Camelot was burning to the ground. People were screaming as they ran through the streets, smoke filling their lungs. Homes were on fire. There was burning rubble at every turn. Countless dead bodies lay scattered throughout the city.

The newly-freed Kilgharrah flew over Camelot breathing fire and destruction down on all of them for the second night in a row.

Lia hadn't known a moment of peace since the first time the Great Dragon's thunderous roar sounded throughout the city. There was no time to mourn the loss of Morgana and question why Merlin hadn't warned her of Kilgharrah's freedom. She and Gaius, with Gwen's help, rushed to set up an infirmary in the heart of the citadel. When Lia wasn't focused on the sounds of screaming victims surrounding her, she could only hear the chaos going on outside as the city continued to burn.

"I don't think people can suffer a third night of this," Gwen said breathlessly. She was running around trying to distribute the medical supplies that were already being stretched too thin — they weren't prepared for a dragon attack.

"We must trust in Arthur," Lia said automatically. So many of the knights had already given their lives up in the fight against the dragon. The Prince and his men were defending Camelot as best they could.

"I do," Gwen said, frowning. "But even he has little chance."

Lia continued to treat burn victim after burn victim. She had never seen so many injured, not even when Sigan and his monsters had attacked. The thought that Kilgharrah was causing so much death and pain all to get revenge on one man made her sick. A part of Lia felt guilty somehow for knowing that once day the dragon would be freed. She was just too naive to realize how much hatred he still held in his heart.

"We've no clean water left," Gwen said, walking over to her and Gaius.

"I'll get some," Lia said, wiping her forehead.

"No, it's too dangerous to go out there," Gaius said, looking towards the doors. They could hear the screams outside.

Gaius failed to notice the determined look on Lia's face, though Gwen did. There would be almost no point in treating the wounds if they had no water to clean them. And those that were injured needed to stay hydrated after being surrounded by all the fire. She marched past Gaius towards the exit, not paying him any mind as he called after her.

"Lia!" he called after her. "Don't!"

"You know it's useless," Gwen said, sighing. She glanced at all those injured and scattered around the room. "She cares more about their well-being than hers."

Lia moved quickly through the square, stepping over burning rubble. She passed many people who were fleeing but she continued to the well. Kilgharrah was flying overhead, but she tried not to worry as she reached the well and began drawing water from it. As she hastily gathered water, Arthur and the knights entered the square.