iii | the wicked day

"honestly, you're a terrible house guest."

[4.3 — The Wicked Day]

Camelot was buzzing with excitement as Prince Arthur's birthday arrived

Camelot was buzzing with excitement as Prince Arthur's birthday arrived. Entertainers ranging from acrobats, jugglers, dancers, and jesters had flooded in from all over the kingdom and were entertaining people in the streets. Caravans of colorful decorations and flowers were being unloaded.

Merlin, drawn by the music drifting up from the streets, poked his head out the window and watched in amazement as one of the acrobats did a backflip. "Oh! Did you see that?" he asked excitedly.

Arthur rolled his eyes before joining him at the window, spotting one of the jugglers practicing. "It's a man throwing sticks in the air," he said in a flat tone before walking back.

Sensing that the Prince was in a mood, Merlin shut the window and studied him. "What's wrong?" Arthur simply pulled an unimpressed face and continued to look over a document he needed to sign. "It's your birthday. A huge feast is being held in your honor. You've got dancers, jugglers, and acrobats to entertain you. It must be a terrible burden."

"Perhaps I'm less easily impressed than you," Arthur muttered, beginning to leave his room.

"I'm really looking forward to it," Merlin stated.

"Because you have the mind of a child," he shot back, heading into the corridor.

"And yet I'm still more intelligent than you," he whispered to himself.

"I heard that!" Arthur called. Merlin grinned to himself before following him out.

"Perhaps seeing Lia will put you in a good mood," he said, catching up to Arthur and walking alongside him. "She's very excited about her gift for you."

"And just what did she get me?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. For the past month, any time Arthur's birthday came up, Lia got quite giddy and would grin brightly. Whenever Arthur would ask her why she was so excited, she would simply reply that she had a perfect gift idea. But the princess was remaining tight-lipped about what exactly it was. "You have to tell me. I am your Prince."

Merlin simply scoffed. "I am more scared of Lia than you," he said, rolling his eyes. Of course, Merlin did not actually know what the present was, but it was fun to wave it over Arthur's head. "I am sure she will not make you wait until the party to receive it though."

Arthur mulled over his options for a moment, knowing he needed to go to the council chambers soon to oversee the plans for the evening. But going to see Lia sounded much more satisfying. It was his birthday, after all, so he should get to be a bit selfish.

"I will meet you in the council chambers in a half-hour," he told Merlin before changing directions and walking back to Lia's room, which was only a few doors away from his own. He knocked lightly on the door, and a moment later, Clement let him inside.