Chapter 1: The Price of Bread is Someone Dead

If Petra was going to patrol the castle one more time without doing anything apart from walking, she wouldn't hesitate to stab either one of her higher ups or guards around the castle and throw their corpse on the snowy grounds just so her hands could do something.

She was one of the elite soldiers, a commander for the Magi Brigade in Royisa's Army, and one of the strongest ones they had ever made. Yet, here she was, patrolling the castle grounds just to keep watch of the other soldiers while also making sure that everyone in the castle was safe.

If she had a lower rank, she would have accepted her guarding duties with pride. Though she would prefer it if they would bring her brother as well. Keeping watch on her own was boring, and even more boring now that she was a higher ranking soldier. She even sneaked out of watching the walls and went somewhere for a short while before returning.

The snow wasn't helping her, either. Every time she took a step, her feet would leave deep prints on the snow. She was slightly worried that people would notice the prints and see that she was sneaking out, or maybe even someone from their enemy kingdom, Nuryyn, would follow her tracks and use it against her.

Fortunately, every time she turned around, there was nothing except the empty, snowy fields.

Once the sun fell down and the skies turned into a deep, purple color, Petra darted back inside the castle and groaned. Maybe it was because walking didn't really use all of her stamina, but her fingers were itching to do something. Anything. As long as it didn't involve murdering Nuryynians that would dare enter the castle. She was tired of doing that.

She scratched the back of her pointy ears and sighed. Maybe she could poison her brother's drink again and see how long it would take for him to realize that he didn't recognize his own potions.

Almost as if the gods above decided to be nice to her for once and listen to her prayers, her ears twitched again when she heard a familiar chuckle from her left.

"Hello, female me!"

Petra crossed her arms and turned to the source of the voice. Blending out from the shadows was none other than her idiot twin, Peter. A small laugh left him as he pushed himself out of the wall and ruffled her hair. "You're in a good mood today, Defakt. Let me guess, did you rip apart another Nuryynian with your bare hands?"

With another groan, she removed Peter's hand from her hair and flicked his head away, making him take a step back. "Hello, dumber me. I'm surprised you still exist. I was expecting you to chug all of your potions and die in your study room."

"Unfortunately, no. I don't think I'm in the mood to do that yet. Besides." He brushed his slightly spiky hair back and grinned. "I don't want to drink something that might accidentally enhance my handsomeness. The world isn't ready for that."

"Whatever makes you happy about yourself, Idei'na." Petra scrunched her nose and turned around, though a few chuckles did manage to leave her lips. "Anyway, what brings you here? Aren't you supposed to be stealing baked potatoes from the kitchen?"

Peter winked at her before unbuttoning his coat. Unsurprisingly, there were at least two pumpkin breads in his pockets, along with what looked like a flask of something to drink. Knowing her brother, it was probably something alcoholic again.

"Daring tonight, are we?" she asked before walking again.

Peter shrugged. "Maybe. I was planning to blame the rookies again, but then I decided to be a good soul this time and not blame anyone. Not even myself. So no one is at fault here according to me."

"What a saint. I pray to the gods that more people like you exist."

"I know, right?" He laughed and waved his hand. "Also, I know that patrolling is boring. I'm surprised you didn't try to stab someone in the chest for fun. I sure would have done it."