Chapter 8: Hand in Hand

As soon as Petra ran off, Adrien took a deep breath and turned around. He wasn't meant for fighting like her or Peter, and he wasn't used as a sacrifice like the Front Liners. He was in the Tactics Brigade--the commander of the Tactics Brigade. He wasn't meant for fighting, he was created for thinking.

But if he wanted to stall time and think of a way to twist Petra's plans, he was going to fight.

He could feel it. Whatever her plan was, it was falling into place. It made him scoff and furrow his brows. He knew that there was something suspicious the moment he found the two burying a dead body in the gardens, and he should have known that it was Petra's idea to use the star map.

If there was one thing he learned while fighting alongside her, it was that the star map was accurate. Scarily accurate. And there was only a slim chance of fate being changed.

He clenched his hand into a fist, careful as to make sure he wouldn't let his magic burst. The last thing he needed was to go off like a bomb while Peter was in his pocket dimension.

Peter.

Almost immediately, Adrien knelt down and snapped his fingers. In a flash of silver, Peter appeared on the snow. His eyes were still closed, and his skin was slowly turning paler. The only good thing he could see from this was that he was still warm.

The question was how long.

Before he could tend Peter and give him medicine, his ears twitched. There were people coming towards him, maybe two of them. And they were close, too.

A sigh left him as he removed his cloak. "Sorry, Peter."

He tossed the cloak behind him and turned around, just in time to see the rebels jumping down towards him.

"There's going to be bloodshed without you."

He spun his arms and formed them to a cross. The sound of metal against metal hit his ears, before the shield he created immediately shattered. He took a step back and ducked, dodging the blade, and swept the rebel's feet.

Adrien gasped and took a step back. He shouldn't feel that tired yet, but using the pocket dimension probably took a toll on him.

He needed to leave, but he hadn't even thought of a way to stop Petra's plan. Maybe he could--

Pain rushed from his back, and he found himself gasping for air. Adrien turned around, only for him to feel even more air knocked out of his lungs. His head spun, and the next thing he felt was the cold snow below him.

"This is the power of the Tactics Brigade?" The rebel scoffed. Adrien assumed the shining thing in their hands was a sword. "I thought you'd be better than this, but it seems like you're all think and no act."

Adrien's arms shook as he lifted himself up, but he found a smile forming on his face. "T- True, but at least I can see what's behind you."

The rebel turned around. Even if his body was still aching, Adrien used any strength he had and punched their temple. They fell back on the snow, and he pierced another ice on their chest for reassurance.

As he dusted his clothes, he snapped his fingers. A flask appeared in his hands. He turned around and punched the rebel's face. Once they were knocked back, he grabbed their shirt and shoved the potion in their lips, forcing them to drink every drop.

He hitched his breath and watched them cough. Gasps left their lips, and their hands reached for their neck. Then, with a final gasp, they fell on the snow.

Adrien winced, a shiver traveling down his spine. At least he knew what the potion could do.

And now he was aware what truly happened to it.