Chapter Six

I didn't think about it much through the night. Maybe I should've done, but I didn't. The plan, that is. Instead, I spent a good portion of the night rifling through my backpack. We didn't tend to carry much when we left the base. Inside were general necessities, as well as my weapons. Although I did find myself thinking about that idea when I reached the cuffs.

Our chains and handcuffs alone wouldn't be enough to hold an Alpha. He could easily shift and break through them. We'd have to douse them in wolfsbane to keep him down.

Bringing an Alpha along could only make things that little bit more difficult, especially considering this dumb mission was all about killing an Alpha. But I did have to admit that Igor was right. Leaving him here alive would only create problems. Killing him would only create more. Kidnapping the Alpha- at this point- sounded like the only plausible option.

A sound outside the door had me freezing up where I stood, my fingers holding a knife by its tip. I glanced over to the door. The shuffling had come from the other side. Scenting the air, I smelt the ashy, woodsy pinecone scent. The Alpha was sat on the other side of my door doing Goddess knows what. He didn't knock, so I didn't bother opening it. If he wanted to spend his time sitting on the floor outside random doors, who was I to judge how he spent his time?

This only bugged me when it came 'round to my sleeping time.

Beneath the covers, I closed my eyes and tried to drift off. But I couldn't. My wolf was jittery. I was antsy for a run, but I couldn't go for a run here. Rogue wolves were recognised by the scent of their wolf. I didn't court my own death.

Above that, I could sense his presence. I'd always had trust issues. To sleep when I could feel someone so nearby went against every instinct I held dear. I spent most of the night on edge. The Alpha never left.

What he was doing all night was a question I decided to ignore. Maybe I was better off not knowing.

By the time the morning came around, he'd disappeared. Trish barged through with no care for knocking. When Trish gave the confirmation that I was decent, Igor followed after her. Such a gentleman.

They dropped themselves down either side of my bed, staring at me expectantly.

"What?" I asked groggily.

"Why are you still in bed?" Trish asked. "Shouldn't you be dolling yourself up for your breakfast with the Alpha?"

"I'm not going."

She spluttered out her disbelief. "You don't get a choice, Lorrie. Don't forget whose fault it is Peter got captured in the first place."

Again with the blame game. But it didn't change anything. It wasn't her life on the line here, so she couldn't understand.

"Peter chose to come here. I didn't make him."

I'd bigged him up- but could you blame me? At the time, I'd thought it was funny.

Trish huffed. "I'm leaving. Either you get her up, or I gouge her eyes out with my claws. Which will it be?"

It was funny. Trish had all the potential to look friendly with her blonde pixie cut, green eyes and insanely tall figure. Instead, she was always scowling and snapping. It actually made her unpleasant to be around.

"You can go," Igor told her. "I'll deal with Lorrie."

He'd deal with me. Oh, how flattering.

When she'd gone, Igor sank down on the bed beside me. I sensed one of his crappy, sappy team spirit talks coming on the way.

"Don't bother," I said. "I don't need to hear it."