Chapter Twenty-Five

After a few hours of walking, I stopped. Everyone else stopped behind me. They watched in curiosity as I crouched down to the ground, trailing my fingers over a wolf track in the mud. I sniffed and nodded.

We were on the right path.

I didn't walk yet. I knew these people well. I knew the bases even better. If there were wolf tracks just laying around, then somewhere round here, there'd be traps. When I saw the trip wire, I cleared my throat, lifting my foot with exaggerated height. If they didn't make the connection, then they deserved whatever they got.

Peter was lucky he was behind me. He replicated my footsteps carefully, following me over to the nearest tree. Trish did the same, her brows furrowed. The other bases didn't have traps to line the way. But the other bases weren't home to the big leaders.

Lagging behind, the Alpha and the ex-Beta missed my signal. Igor was talking loudly, selling some stupid pack idea to the Alpha. He was whining on about how good of a Beta he'd make should Aidan so choose to let him in. Igor didn't see the trip wire. It was sad, actually. They were both in the danger zone.

When Trish readied to call to them, I lifted my hand. Somehow, it shut her up.

Igor's leg tripped the wire. Out came the storm. A shower of arrows released themselves on the pair. None were aimed above the waist. Igor caught one in his leg, Aidan caught one with his hand. He snapped it, glaring at me as if this were my doing.

Smirking, I pushed away from the tree and gave the wire a tug.

"Welcome to Ranger's territory," I said, deactivating anything to follow. "The most dangerous base around. This wire was a warning. It means stay out or open your fucking eyes if you want to stay alive." Igor pulled the arrow out of his leg, grimacing. "You're lucky. Trip another one, they'll aim for your heart."

"And you couldn't have told us this in advance?" Aidan asked, his eyes narrowing in a way that spoke volumes.

He was mad at me.

Charming.

"I had to teach you all a lesson somehow. I think that's a lesson learnt."

I turned on the balls of my feet, but he grabbed me. Peeling his fingers from my arm, I turned with a cold grace that had taken years of practice. I'd learnt it through replication.

"What?"

"You can't just leave us for near dead to teach us a lesson, Lorrie. You might not want us to embarrass you, but we should have each other's backs here. You know that I'll have yours."

I raised my chin indignantly. "Sorry, Alpha. I don't need you to have my back. I've already gotten it."

He sighed with exasperation. "I'll protect and provide for you. You just have to let me."

I smiled, though it lacked pleasantness. Acting as though he'd never spoken, I turned and followed my nose.

I could navigate this landscape with my eyes shut.

After a while longer, there were less trees. A big, block like building sat in the middle of a field with barbed wire and tall fences circling it. Wolves patrolled the front gates. They were guards fully prepared to rip an enemy's throat out.

As we drew closer, I didn't miss the way the others walked closer to me. It was cute that they thought I'd protect them. I was more likely to do the opposite.

"Lorelei," The man at the gate greeted. Some of the wolves inclined their big, furry heads my way. "We weren't expecting you."

"We're on our way to Alpha Diego's pack from the Fervidus territories. We've been travelling for a while. We're going to make a stop."