Chapter Eight

Around an hour after my chat with Peter, I was summoned back to the Alpha's office. Beta Jackson told me he had council related issues to talk to me about, but I knew better. If that were really the case, he'd have been summoning Igor, our supposed leader.

Which did make me wonder- where the hell were those boneheads hiding? Really, if they didn't get themselves killed during the day, I'd have to kill them myself eventually.

They were probably boning.

Naturally, the Alpha was already behind his desk when I entered, files scattered around him chaotically. I sensed he wasn't really paying them much attention. The furrow in his brow was far too strained.

"You called for me?" I asked.

"I did, take a seat."

"So this is going to be long?"

"Just sit down Lorrie."

I sighed, relenting. It wasn't like I had much else to do for the next two days- besides plotting, of course. But there was only so much of that I could get done at a time. Besides, I worked better under imminent pressure. My best ideas were more spur of the moment things, y'know. Most of them were terrible, too. You've got to get that balance just right.

"Your Beta told me this is council business- so what is it? Oh, and while we're at it, whatever you say in this room will be going in your pack's report which will then go in your pack's permanent file."

Good God I loved the power of lying. There was a certain beauty in it. Lying was an art.

"I wouldn't expect anything less."

He was learning how to handle me- or at least he thought he was. I couldn't wait to throw a certain curveball at him. It started with an R, ended with an E. No, it wasn't rogue. It was rake. I was going to hit him with a rake.

"Then what do you want to talk about?"

"The execution of the rogue."

"By all means."

"Are you still planning on leaving afterwards?"

Why would I really have expected anything else? This man would search and search and search until eventually he found something that might just make me stay. He wouldn't be so down when he realised I didn't actually plan to leave him here. On the contrary, we were going to kidnap him. The bright and equally dim idea wasn't even mine for a change. I could help with the logistics, but I certainly didn't plan on taking any of the blame.

For a change, I'd enjoy myself watching it play out horribly.

Kidnap an Alpha, they said. Like nothing's going to go wrong with that.

Fuckwits.

"I don't see how that's any of your concern."

"Are we really playing this game?" He asked me. "I'm your mate for God's sake- why won't you just accept that? I know you can feel the sparks."

"Why would I lie?"

Not the curveball I'd been going for, but it still threw him. His mouth fell open a little, a lost look flashing across his features.

It didn't matter. To him, I was nothing more than an it. A savage, feral it with a pointless existence. I amounted to nothing.

"I'm starting to think you've got a problem with me." Well someone took his time. It was comforting to know the Alpha wasn't one for sharp, quick observations. "So what is it? Is it my outrageously good looks? My awe worthy humour?"