4. Kane

Pulling up to my Betas house has been the highlight of my weekend, I get to finally see my beautiful mate, Sora.

After the amazing day I had with my mate and finally being able to kiss her, making her laugh and then talking about ourselves until there was some trouble at the borders with rogues and I had to leave.

I had three wolfs injured and one missing. So now I have to deal with what the fuck is going on. It's the second time this month and I'm losing my fucking patience.

Something is wrong and neighboring packs are having the same issues, if not worse from their lack of defense.

I'm even more pissed because I just found my mate and there is no god damn way any rogue mutt or otherwise is going to stop me from keeping her here, I need to end the threat before word gets around.

Upon entering my Beta's house I notice the party for baby Troy is in full swing.

Pack members bow their heads in respect to me and greet me with 'alpha' as I walk past my pack members, ignoring them I follow my gorgeous mate's scent until I find her outside.

I can't keep my eyes off her as I walk towards her.

She hasn't seen me as she's speaking to some pack members, I stand behind her, bend down and whisper. "Hi." in her ear, causing her to jump and me to grin.

"Holy fu- hey! You startled me!" She quietly yells at me, holding her now rapid beating chest.

I noticed it's now a bit quieter around us as pack members are watching this play out. But I don't give a fuck, I'm completely focused on my girl.

"You just got here?" She asks me.

I nod. "Yeah."

I need to speak to her alone, away from all these eyes and ears.

"Can I borrow you for a sec?" I ask her, she glances apologetically at the pack members she was talking to as I lead her to someplace quiet.

"Is something wrong?" She asks me worried.

I sigh. "I won't lie to you Sora, yes." Her face drops. "There's a problem at work and I'll be busy for a while, I just wanted to let you know."

She's now frowning and I want to kiss it away.

This is for the best, I need to keep her safe and I can't do that if problems with rogues or whatever is causing problems at the border don't go away.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asks and I frown at her question.

Do I? Yes. But can I? No. Not yet, she's fragile. If she knew the truth about me.. about everyone here. I'm not sure how she will react around me and my pack members.

I shake my head and drop the subject, I lead her back to the party.

"Oh Alp- Kane! When did you get here?" Amanda says smiling happily when she notices my hand in Sora's. I didn't miss how Sora flinched and tried to gently tug her hand out of mine, and failed.

I intertwine our hands and tighten my hold. Maybe now she will get the message, you're mine.

"Just now." I say, handing over the gift to her and she's happily accepting it.

I get a mind-link from one of my pack warriors at the borders which make me grimace with annoyance.

"Alpha, rogues to the east, there are at least twenty of them."

Fucking perfect timing.

"Do you have a headache?" Sora says besides me as she stares up at my face, her eyes worried.