Chapter 12: Our First Clue

Down they went through the tunnels, running past leaks in the roof that splashed on her clothes and so far inward that Mina could no longer feel the wind.

A twist here. A twist there. Five turns left. Six turns right. A pause, a wait through bated breath, her weight shifted in his arms, gemstones rattling in her pockets. Blind to the world, mute to the world, and at everyone's mercy.

At the mercy of Talmage to not drop her, to not leave her, to not kill her when they arrived wherever they were going. At the mercy of the knights to not be found. At the mercy of darkness to not come alive.

She lost count of the turns. She didn't have a clue where they were, no matter how hard she'd tried to memorize their movements through the blindfold. Utterly lost in more ways than one, Mina imagined screaming her way back out, past these hideaways and knights, running all the way back home and locking the door forever. She wanted to plead with the sun to trace backwards across the sky, just so she might start the day over and do it all differently.

And with this strange thing now coming alive within, would the sun actually do what Mina asked?

"Here," Talmage whispered, breaking her thoughts. She felt him lower her to the ground, and without the ability to see, Mina feared for a moment that he was leaving her behind. But she quickly heard the sound of rock and rock, something massive being pushed and heaved into place, and the darkness over her covered eyes grew even darker as a result.

It didn't last long, however, for Talmage slid the blindfold off in the next breath. It took her eyes a moment to adjust, but sight filtered through the dark haze just enough for Mina to glimpse the space they occupied.

It was a shallow room, the stone roof overhead sealed and free of cracks to let the light in. A giant rock blocked the one entrance to the space, one she assumed Talmage had moved to get them in and keep outsiders out. Beyond that, there was a thin tunnel at the back of the room, lit only by an occasional torch that disappeared far beyond her ability to see.

Mina still had the gag on her mouth, and she fixed Talmage with a look that implored him to remove it.

Much like before, he hesitated for a brief moment, not knowing what to make of her or the potential she had to ruin what he'd built down here.

"Promise me," he began, "that you won't scream. Won't yell. Those knights have never once found this place, and I don't intend for today to be the day just because you can't control your own magic."

Mina seethed but forced herself to nod, and he removed the gag.

She gulped in air, grateful to breathe uninhibited. It was only after a few seconds of filling her lungs that she realized he'd also set to work untying her ankles and wrists. Completely freed, she rubbed the soreness away left from the bonds.

"Please," she whispered. "I don't care anything about your little band of rebels or want anything to do with them. I promise, I won't tell a soul about what I've seen. Just let me go, and I'm sure I can slip out without being caught."

"I can't do that," Talmage said, but he at least managed to look apologetic through his swollen eyes and beaten face. "That rock stays put for the night, no exceptions. Anytime Abbott's little dogs get close to here, that's our rule. Besides, I brought you here blind. You can't retrace your steps even if the exit was open, and you'd only end up getting caught by Samuel."

"Who's Samuel?" She asked, exasperated.

"All in good time, Mina. For now, come meet the rest of us. We might've gotten off on the wrong foot, but they won't bite unless I tell them to."