Chapter 22: Confess

Mina Blackwell.

At long last, a name to put with the face and voice that had haunted him ever since the second explosion. But he had to go further, make sure Lorenzo's jewel collector matched the woman from the Square.

"What does she look like?" He asked.

"Black hair, wavy when it's not pulled back. Her skin is brown, and I suppose you could call her short. She usually wears a cloak over an ugly old dress. She doesn't really catch attention."

"She's ensnared mine," Dante said, tightening the shadow at Lorenzo's wrist. "What does her voice sound like?"

"It's been a long time since I've heard her sing, I...I can't remember."

"Fine then, her speaking voice," he said, waving his hand in a gesture for Lorenzo to speed up his responses.

"I'm not sure...ordinary? She whispers a lot. I guess you could call it light? I wouldn't say it's high pitched but...soft?"

"But she does sing, correct?"

"Yes," Lorenzo said. "Most days, on top of the fountain in the Square."

Dante nodded, each detail lining up perfectly. He closed his eyes briefly as relief washed over him, but he was careful not to get too comfortable. Every step forward thus far had resulted in additional steps back, and he wasn't keen to be caught unaware again.

"Where does she live?" Dante asked.

"The Red Alley."

"Do better," he chided, tightening the shadow further around him.

"The part closest to the forest," Lorenzo responded frantically, not so covertly trying to shake the darkness from his skin. "It's a shack on the left side of the street, the very last one before the road gives way to grass. Windows are busted out, but the roof isn't caved in. It's got a squeaky door and no real floors. I was just on my way there before you came."

"What for?"

"I haven't seen her in days, and I've been expecting her to bring me her dues and jewels from the cave."

"Ah yes, bring you those things illegally."

To that, Lorenzo said nothing, which was likely the smartest option in his position.

"How did you come to associate with her?" Dante asked him.

"I knew her parents. They died about fifteen years ago in all that sickness. Her father did the same stuff for me then as she does now. Mina took over for him."

"And how did you convince her parents to work for you without pay? And now her, by extension? It must've been a powerful form of blackmail."

Lorenzo visibly paled at that, and inwardly, he ordered himself to keep the secret, to lie. Not for Mina's sake, but his own. Abbott may not kill Favor Borns like the last king, but keeping them secret was still a severe crime in Enid. He doubted the information he'd given about Mina would be enough to save him from that.

"I saved her father's life, a long time ago," said Lorenzo. "He owed me after that."

There was a creak near the doorway, and Lorenzo turned his head at the sound. With what he could see through shadow, there was another knight leaning against the doorframe, his eyes studying the shine of his boots.

"He's lying," said the other knight.

Dante, who hadn't initially noticed him, immediately whipped his head to the door and gave a groan.