Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"Rachel—I told you already," Aiden snips as he shuts the door behind him and Jace, "Paws off the furniture."

She huffs but jumps down and picks up her clothes in her mouth. As she trots to the back of the house where I assume her bedroom is, she shifted. I'm surprised as her naked form disappears down the house, but I seem to be the only one who's staring.

I stand up from the couch, unsure what to do next. Seeing the two of them standing beside one another, it's clear to me that Aiden and Jace are father and son. Aiden's an almost replica of Jace—just with peppered hair and stubble—and I can't believe that I had missed it initially.

Aiden narrows his eyes at Jace, who's pointedly looking at the ground. He looks like a boy who's been caught stealing from the cookie jar.

"Your name?" Aiden turns to me. I stare at him with wide eyes as his begins towards me, "What's your name?"

"A-Amelia," I stick my hand out to him. He grasps my forearm firmly like I had seen Young-Jae and Adrian's group had when they greeted one another at the diner. His grasp is firm but brief, letting go as soon as my fingers curl around his arm.

"I'm Aiden—Beta in Breccia. You've already met Rachel. And I know that you and my son are already acquainted."

"Yes, sir," I glance at Jace. He isn't looking at me and I get the distinct feeling that he's annoyed with me.

"Jaceson," His father growls, the vibrations in his chest catching me off guard, "Sangra en todas partes."

Jace nods, walking around his father and to me. I don't miss the way Aiden's eyes follow his son like a hawk, and how Jace avoids his eyes like the plague. Glancing down, I see that I'm in fact bleeding onto their wooden floor, like his father said.

As Jace bends down to pick me up, I look up at Aiden, "It was nice meeting you."

He only grumbles and stalks out of the cabin. Jace flinches as the door bounces against the doorframe with the force of Aiden closing it. He sighs and lifts me into his arms.

"I can walk," I say quietly. I had to walk through miles of thick forest with this bloody leg, but I choose to not add that.

"You're bleeding everywhere," He grumbles and carries me into the bathroom. Sitting me on the counter, he leaves the room. When he comes back with a first aid kit, he looks at me with a narrowed gaze, "What are you doing here?"

"You...put me here—"

"In my pack, Amelia!" His voice raises, "What are you doing in my house?"

"I got attacked by a bunch of Wolves in Washington!" My hands fly out in exasperation, "Palus Wolves? I don't know but Adrian saved me and took me back here! I tried to tell him not to but apparently—"

"Adrian?" He stiffens.

"Yes, Adrian. My father's client—y'know the guy we met at the diner. The one that's a Wolf," I scoff when his eyes widen in surprise, "You didn't think I couldn't figure that one out either, right? You really don't give me enough credit, Jace. Did you think I was stupid or something?"

"Clearly you deserve a lot more credit, Amelia!" He slams the first aid kit beside me, which makes me jump. His eyes are glowing bright with anger, "You've managed to get mixed up with Wolves from not one—not even two—but three packs! Yes, Amelia, I think you are stupid!"

"Do you think I did this on purpose?" I start laughing, "I went to Washington to talk to a guy about my sister, Jace! How am I supposed to know there's a pack of Wolves up there? And how am I supposed to know that they're going to beat the crap out of me because I smell different? You told me nothing!"