Chapter 24

Chapter 24

The door slams so hard that I swear that entire building shakes. Wolves around us scatter, some keeling over as they feel Mira's rage through the walls. Wide-eyed and clammy, it's amazing to see how quickly the packhouse has emptied.

Natalia storms off, down the stairs, and out the door. I note that she's careful not to slam the front door. She may be furious for getting skinned a new one, but she won't dare lose her temper around Mira. A Wolf who prefers self-preservation over revenge.

I limp towards the stairs at a much slower pace than Natalia. Mira's fury clings to my skin like razor blades, and I feel ill just recalling the way she unleashed her lecture on us. But the pounding and aching of my entire body is far more nauseating, and I can't fully focus on anything but breathing.

I've been given ice to press against my face, but it's useless. Every part of me is swollen or bruised, and unless they have a tub full of ice, it's pointless pressing a piddly ice bag against one section.

"Let me help," Rachel comes flying up the stairs. She casts a nervous glance at the doors to Mira's office, and murmurs, "We should go before she comes out."

After helping me get down the stairs and out of the house, Rachel lets me go and walks with me back to the cabin. They all stare as we make our slow trek across the packgrounds. Part of me wants to lift my hand and give them a snarky wave—hello, yes I'm the reason your Alpha made everyone soil their pants. You're welcome.

Rachel is looking in concern as a grin grows on my face, "You...are you okay?"

I can't wipe the incredulous look off my face, "Yes—I just got beaten the crap out of, suspended by school, and watch that bitch get away scot-free. I'm great, Rachel."

"Yeah, stupid question," She opens the screen door to the cabin and waves me in. As it swings shut, she adds in a quiet voice, "You just...don't seem guilty."

I whip around but bite back my remark. She won't look at me in the eye, and I suspect that my expression is terrifying if a Wolf can't make eye contact with me. I want to scream at her too, because she's right—I don't feel guilty. I'm seething!

But Rachel isn't the problem, and I have to keep repeating it in my head until I calm down. Natalia is the problem. The fact that she feels entitled to attack me for stealing her crush is the problem.

"I'm sorry if I caused more trouble for you guys," I slump onto the sofa, "I feel like the shit hit the fan the moment I came into the equation. I mean my life was already a mess because of what was happening at home...but I'm sorry—"

"Amelia," She wraps her arms around me. I sink into her arms and she laughs, "We're Wolves. Our lives are always complicated—it's the nature of the beast. I just...you need to tread lightly. Natalia was like you once—her parents came from Ameku and were considered Rogues for a while before they joined Breccia."

"Why?"

"Breccia...well, not all of us are as welcoming to outsiders. Some are more narrow-minded to anyone who aren't born and raised in Breccia."

"Like me?"

"Like you, humans, lycans, Rogues...outsiders like Natalia," Rachel sounds like this is something she's deeply ashamed of, "She had to fight her way to the top. She got beat up all the time, and then one day she fought back. She's mean because she has to be."

"Yeah. But I still hate her."

"Hate her—just don't pick a fight with her. She'll kill you," Her words send shivers down my spine, but I know that they are true. To these Wolves, who are ruled by animal instinct, the lines of morality seem to blur a lot.