Chapter 30

Chapter 30

My parents' car is parked outside the house when I come tearing in. I know that if I go in now then I won't get a moment of peace. There will be an interrogation on my behavior—there's no way to tell them what I know.

Turning out of the driveway, I head to Breccia. I need to talk to Hekate, and I need to do it in a place where I'm protected. Breccia is the only other place I can think of.

I don't even bother shutting the car door as I rush to Mallory's hut. As I sprint along the dirt road, my eyes catch Mira and Ilya coming out the house. Their eyes are burning brightly as they stare at me. Obviously, Adrian has given them a call.

Mallory is in her garden when I come racing up, "Amelia, what's—"

"I need to use your room," I look over my shoulder. Mira is stalking towards us, "Please. My house isn't a good place."

"This way," She grabs my hand and leads me to the gardening shed. I'm initially confused why until she opens the door and reveals a trapdoor in the center of the wooden floor, "I have another place where I perform work that requires a bit more privacy. And from the look of Alpha's warpath, you need to hide for a bit."

"Thank you," I hug her quickly before hurrying down into the secret room. I hear Mallory shut the gardening shed, and the muffled voices of the Alphas.

Blinking a couple times, I'm surprised that I can see in the darkness. This isn't a room though. It's a tunnel that stretched on for a few hundred feet. I can see light from the other side and run towards it. A ladder leads me up to another cabin that is lined with everything that I need.

Careful not to touch her tools, I grab the herb I need. Lupinus Oreganus. I grab one of the stalks and crush the flower in my hand. Grabbing Steph's knife from my hip, I slice my palm open and press the herbs to the open wound. It's quick and dirty, but I need to see Hekate urgently.

Shutting my eyes, I hiss as the herbs' energy mix with my blood, sizzling and clotting. Iphigenia lunges out towards me, and we both are thrown sideways. I feel my body crash against the ground, but my mind has distanced itself from the realm of the living.

I stand beside Iphigenia, looking at her, "I need to see Hekate."

She stares into my eyes and the world around us shifts. The meadow where we have met so many times before appears, but it blurs. Before I can reign in my concentration, the image blurs into another location entirely. A bedroom. It's in a large cabin in the forest. Two men stride the room. The room is tense with trouble and nervousness.

"How did she know about Leon?" Mac's face and voice become clearer. Adrian stands a few feet away from him, jaw set in thought. "She's new. She barely knows anything about her own pack—how could she know anything about ours?"

"She's a Lycanthrope," Adrian murmurs, "She told me that as well today..."

Mac sucks a breath in, "A Lycan? Fuck's sake—what else are those Breccian Alphas hiding, Adrian?"

"It is peculiar that they haven't announced it—new Lycans are always cause for celebration...which means that they want her hidden from The Order."

Mac's eyes grow impossibly wide, "You think she's—"

Iphigenia barks loudly, and we all tense. Adrian and Mac's eyes snap around, sensing something but not being able to see us. I look down at Iphigenia and she wags her tail, thinking quite highly of herself for stopping their train of thought. For now.

The hairs of Mac's neck are raised, and he looks frightened as he whips around. His teeth bare down, and I'm incredibly thankful that he can't see or contact us.

Adrian claps his Beta on the shoulder, "Calm down. She's harmless—"

"Aye, maybe right now. But when that pup founds out how to be a Lycan, you best be ready for her. That one has chaos written all over her—she reeks of it."

Curiously, a small smile creeps along Adrian's lips. I feel like someone has drugged me, because my insides become weightless and my mind tunes everything out. His eyes flick up and I swear they spot me.

Just as he's about to speak, the door opens, and a small body tears into the room. A tiny Wolf who runs straight to Adrian, yapping and wagging his tail playfully. Adrian grins and picks up the pup as it shifts.

"What're you doing, running around inside like this?" Adrian grabs the little boy's nose with a chuckle, "You're old enough to know better, Eamonn."

"I was looking for someone, Da," He has a toothy grin and thousands of freckles. But there's no mistake that this is Adrian's son. He looks exactly like him, only the younger version.

Mac rolls his eyes, "You're as barmy as your Da."

"Let's go looking for this someone," Adrian sets his son down and tugs off his overcoat, "With some clothes on, young lad. You have plenty of time ahead of you to show off to all the ladies."

Eamonn grins widely as he shrugs on his father's coat. They all continue out of the room as he rambles on, "She's short and has white hair—"

I bend down to Iphigenia and the room disappears. We are back in the darkness, but a young, black stallion stands beside us. It stomps its hoof and upsets the black water under our feet.

"Hekate," I murmur, "Leon—Orion—is Adrian's brother—"

"We know," The horse shakes its head, "You needed to see for yourself the deception. And how powerful he is."

"I don't understand. How am I supposed to end this? How can I kill someone that will only come back?"

The horse spooks. Iphigenia begins growling loudly, and I look around. The darkness is moving, a shadow emerging towards us. Orion.

Hekate stares at me with wide eyes, "You're asking the questions he doesn't want you to ask."

As the horse begins to fall into the fog and water, I reach out, "What do I do?"

He's behind me, I can feel his hands reaching out for me. Iphigenia yelps in terror, her high-pitched whimpers almost drowning out what the young stallion says.

"You need to do it first."

I scream in frustration, not understanding what she says. But the horse is gone. His hand brushes against my neck, and I jerk away. I grab for my sister's knife and slash at him, catching his hand briefly.

He grins as I drag the blade against my throat, "Open your eyes, Iphigenia."

I jolt upright, my breath coming out heavily. My heart races erratically and I tuck the knife hurriedly into its sheathe. Orion is close. I can feel it in the ache of my bones and the pit of my stomach. He is coming to me.

Scrambling to my feet, I rip the door open and try to make sense of what I've seen. Do it first. What had Hekate meant?

I stop dead in my tracks, eyes wide as my gaze meets his. His eyes glow the same, sickly yellow that they had that night when he had attacked me. Insanity. Murder.

Orion takes a step towards me, grinning widely as he realizes that I know what he has done. What he's capable of.

"It's good to see you again."