Gods and Monsters

I examined the burnt picture of me and my mom. It still had that charred smell. I kept staring at the picture trying to find some hidden meaning behind everything. Was it a sign that our relationship is burned and falling apart. You know—Ashes to ashes, dust to dust—whatever that means. Maybe I can still fix our crippling relationship," Mommy come on—the tea is getting cold!" Ama pulled me out of my thoughts and dragged me over to her tea party set up," Okay, okay sweetheart."

She sat down in a seat adjacent to her bunny Daisy and I sat across from her. Ama grabbed the floral teapot and poured the imaginary tea—that consisted of water—into our tea cups. There were 4 cups on the table and she filled all of them," Who's cup is this Ama?" I pointed at the lone cup of fake tea. She set down the teapot and smiled at me," It's for Tony!" "Tony is probably at work honey—It's gonna get cold."

She innocently shook her head," He said he'll be here for the tea party—he promised!" I took a sip of my tea and nodded my head," Okay sweetheart." On queue, Tony came in through the front door," See I told you mommy!" He waltzed over in his black fitted suit and sat down in the seat next to mine," Sorry I'm late princessa," He pecked the top of Ama's head," Pussycat." He kissed me on the lips and grabbed his teacup.

He took back the teacup like a shot and set it back down," That was good mane—pour me another one." Ama gladly grabbed the teapot," Please?" "Please—Por favor." Ama gently poured the tea in his cup. Tony smirked at me and winked," She has good manners. Jour doing a good job pussycat." I rolled my eyes and smiled as I took another sip of my tea. Tony leaned back in his seat and unbuttoned his blazer so he could get comfortable. I reached over and unbuttoned his shirt to the collarbone," Thank you mamita." He grabbed my hand and kissed the back of my hand.

"Hey—no kissing at the table!" Ama dictated as she set down her cup. Tony furrowed his brows at her," What kinda rule is tha—huh?" Ama sneered up her nose and poured herself another round of tea," My tea party—My rules." Tony put up his hands in surrender and smirked," Okay jou're the boss, princessa." I smiled at their little interaction, it warmed my heart that they already adore one another. This is what I wanted with Cesar, but I got something way better. I guess the universe works in funny ways.

"How can jou have a tea party with no food?" Tony argued at Ama as it snapped me out of my thoughts. "Food is messy—we have to be fancy." Tony sat up in his chair," Well I don't want to attend this party anymore." He stood up from his chair and was about to walk away until Ama jumped up from her seat and grabbed his arm," No you can't leave!" "I'm going to another party that has food."

Ama pulled his hand so he could sit back down in his chair," No sit! We have food!" She ran over to me and pulled me up," Come on mommy we have to get food!" I glanced at Tony who was smiling from ear to ear. I shook my head and stood up," Okay Ama I'm coming." She held my hand and dragged me to the kitchen with her," Come on mommy, we have to be quick or he'll leave!" I chuckled to myself and smiled," He's not going to leave baby."

I reached into the pantry and grabbed a bag of chocolate chip cookies. I handed them to her and she jumped with excitement. She ran back to the tea party and I followed behind her. When I came in, she was frozen in her spot with her head down," He left..." She set the bag of cookies on the table and sat down in her seat. I could see her face contort into that familiar frown before she cries. And before you know it, the tears began to trickle down her face.

I rushed over to my crying child and held her in my arms," Amalita..." She buried her face into the crook of my neck and held me tight. "¿Que pasa?" Tony walked out of the bathroom with a confused expression on his face. Ama lifted her head from my shoulder and wiped the tears from her face," You're still here?" Her face immediately lit up with joy. Tony held out his arms towards her and she went to him," I wouldn't leave you cariña." He kissed the top of her head and she embraced her arms around his neck," You promise?" "I promise."