three

scary movie

scary movie.
chapter three

CHERRY VALENTINE WAS A HORROR FANATIC, meaning her after-school routine involved a horror movie and multiple empty chip packets

CHERRY VALENTINE WAS A HORROR FANATIC, meaning her after-school routine involved a horror movie and multiple empty chip packets. The family housed an empty book shelf in the corner of the living room, which Cherry had filled with various amounts of VHS tapes. Her life's library of endless horror.

Cherry rested on the comforts of her couch, her head lay on the soft material as she attempted to give into a certain level of escapism from the terrible state of reality. Her snacks were held close to her chest, her body cuddled to the cushions as Carrie played on the television.

Her heart jumped from her chest as a phone echoed throughout the house, she placed her opened packet on the cushion and grabbed the phone in front of her. "Hello?"

"Hey Cherry!" A familiar voice exclaimed through the phone. Cherry smiled and paused the movie.

"Hey, Tate."

"I'm heading over to Sid's house," Tatum explained, she then asked, "Just wondering if you want in?"

Cherry would never admit this to another soul, but she preferred the nights she spent with the girls of her friendship group then those spent with the boys.

"Count me in!" She smiled. The two exchanged their goodbyes before the conversation ended.

The girl sat backwards, dropping the phone back onto the coffee table. She picked up the half-eaten packet and shoved her hand into it, digging for another chip, when the phone blared out, again.

"Hello?" Cherry said, no voice replied so she asked, "Who is this?" She leant the phone between her head and her shoulder to grab the remote, and switch off the screen.

"Do you like horror movies, Cherry?" A deep voice oozed through the line.

The girl hummed and grabbed the phone from underneath her ear. "Horrors my favourite genre." She replied.

"What's your favourite scary movie?" The stranger asked.
Cherry found herself question the person on the other end of the line. The voice hadn't acknowledged anything she had mentioned.

"Nightmare on Elm Street!" She answered, "I have a thing for Johnny Depp in a crop top." Cherry laughed as she spoke, she could dive deeper in the world of the genre but that was always the safe option.

"Smart choice, doll." The voice praised her, a sour feeling swallowed erupted in her stomach at his words, more particularly the pet man. As the person spoke Cherry grabbed the endless packets of opened snacks and tossed them in the trash.

She grabbed the phone and switched it to the other side and held it between her head and her shoulder again, "Is there any reason for your calling?" Cherry asked.

"I just wanted to talk with you, Doll."

The girl hummed in response to the stranger, the uneasiness she felt grew every time she heard the same repeated nickname. Whilst she wondered back to the couch, her mind rewinded the conversation and a sudden realisation dawned on her, how did the stranger know her name.

"How did you get my number?" Her voice jumped multiple octaves, her body tension was high as she dropped down into the couch. "Who is this? You never answered my question."

The other end seemed to go dead, but the harsh breaths that echoed through her ear convinced her someone was still connected in the wire.

"I think I'm going to hang up now!" Cherry exclaimed, am obnoxious crash sounded from her bedroom upstairs. Cherry jumped from her skin, the soft layer erupted in goosebumps due to fright, her hands sweaty.

"If you hang up I'll gut you like a fish! Just like your friend!" The deep voice yelled through the phone, Cherry winded as the sound pierced her eardrums.

The color from her face drained, leaving her a ghostly white. Her head felt a similar piercing pain as her ears had due to the bitterness of his voice. A haunting version of butterflies settled in her lower stomach, like the anxious feeling you developed when talking to a high-school crush. Just a slight bit— Horrifying.

"You?" Cherry breathed out as her hands trembled uncontrollably and it was as if she could hear the smirk on the mans face. It was inevitable this person would let her live, now that she'd engaged in conversation with him.

She released a breath when the man mumbled, "Calm down, Doll— I'm not going to kill you."

The only thing her conscious brain could fixate on was her tight grip on the telephone. "You're— You're not?"

"I cherish you, Cherry Valentine." His name seemed to roll off his tongue, like he had muttered it so many times before. "I'm going to tear you apart. One day you'll see, you're just like me."

As she opened her mouth to reply, even through shaken and staggered breaths. The line went dead, leaving Cherry Valentine and her empty chip packets alone once again.

It seemed, her downfall had began.