Chapter Fifty-three : On Her Doorstep

*Do not plagiarize this story, no partof it may be copied, reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any meanswithout my (Lara Ruze's) written permission

*Do not plagiarize this story, no partof it may be copied, reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any meanswithout my (Lara Ruze's) written permission. Plagiarizing my works will betaken as an offence and will be dealt with properly. If you find anyone copyingmy works, please do let me know.*

~

This had been her home since many—many years. But as Sofia stepped through the front door, the familiarity strangely didn't give her the vibes of home anymore, probably because the concept of home had changed for her since a while now; probably because it was a person instead of a place now.

She had wiped away tears on her drive to Haydens', and now, after recomposing herself and entering the house, again she wanted to weep. It had just been a half hour, but she was missing Max already.

Nevertheless, she knew she had to do what she had to do.

For every relationship, distance is as necessary as intimacy sometimes.

And Sofia believed they needed that distance until she could sort out things within herself first, so that she could save herself and Max from further hurt.

Last night – the insecurity, the fright she'd found growing inside herself had the potency to destroy what Max and she had achieved in the past weeks. And it was fair to none of them.

Negativities must be ripped off from the depth of their roots and in the soonest possible time.

Sofia forced herself to smile as Sam greeted her first, running towards her with arms wide open and mouth stretched into an infectious grin. Skyler was the one next, hollering happily at her sight she bounded forward.

Marla had taken grampa for a short morning-walk, Sofia was informed, when she asked about the absent members of the family.

Sofia went to her old bedroom with a curious Skyler on her tow..

"Your arrival is so sudden," Skyler pointed out with arms crossed, glancing at the suitcase Sofia dropped beside her bed. "Is everything alright? You didn't have a row with your hubby dearest, did you? Like... the usual couple stuff."

"You know a lot of couple stuff these days, Skyler," Sofia chided, dispelling the seriousness of her cousin's query.

The damned girl had hit the nail in place!

Purposely, Sofia didn't turn back to look at Skyler. Instead, she got herself busy in putting her canvas bag on the study desk.

Skyler shrugged, looking a little embarrassed. Apparently, even Sofia had hit a nail in place – the bun in her cousin's metaphorical oven was the proof of it.

Both the sisters could as well become carpenters now.

"I was just asking," Skyler defended, propping her feet up on the bed and crossing them as she sat comfortably.