Chapter Twenty-four : Besotted

After that outburst and out of the blue, very confusing apology from Max earlier in the morning, Sofia noticed for the rest of the day some extremely weird things. What topped the most was the entirely changed Max.

To make matters worse, he was behaving almost like a typical husband from the cliché movies and was attending to her every need.

"Here, drink this water and take the pills."

Sofia merely gaped at Max when he went ahead to help her with the task, holding the back of her head and tipping the glass a little at her gaping mouth. Wordlessly she swallowed the pills along with the soothing water.

"Are you hurting? Should I call the doctor?" Max panicked when Sofia crunched her face as her midriff throbbed while trying to move a little.

"Uh," Sofia exhaled as the throbbing subsided. "No, no. I guess it's supposed to hurt this little bit for a while. Nothing to worry about."

Seemed like, Max didn't quite like her explanation. "Of course you would say that." He pressed the button hurriedly beside her bed to call the nurse. "It is because you kept saying that is why you've ended up like this." Max gestured towards her lying form on the hospital bed.

Sofia pressed her lips into a thin line, controlling some nasty retorts because the nurse rushed in right then and checked what was troubling her patiently.

"It will ache this little bit while moving," said the nurse with an assuring smile. "With time the prescribed medication will help everything be alright,"

But Max seemed to not like what the nurse said. "But aren't the pain killers supposed to numb all the pain, as the doctor said?" he challenged.

The nurse nodded giving a glance towards Sofia. "Yes, but—"

"And we've come to the hospital so that she gets alright?"

"Of course—"

"Then fix her!" Max had his hands on his hips now, staring down at the wary nurse. "Make the pain go away."

Sofia raised a brow, her lips further pressed together into a straight line of frustration and disbelieve. "Max," she began in a controlled tone. "It will go away with time and medication as the nurse has said."

Max crossed his arms defiantly. "None of you are doctors."

And so the doctor was summoned while Sofia boiled in silent frustration. Then, even the doctor said the same thing as the nurse, and left commenting, "You have a very besotted husband, Mrs. Wilder."

Besotted husband, my foot!

Sofia glared at Max who was sitting with a blank face on the chair beside her bed. "What is the matter with you?" Sofia couldn't help but ask—more like demand.