Chapter Twenty-two: Significance of the Insignificant

Some days are just meant to be filled with surprises. Of many shades and colors, some good and some bad, even destructive, and then there are some that are just plain confusing.

Skyler came barging in her office.

Sofia looked up surprised from her desk, she hadn't expected her sister to turn up today or anytime soon. It had been two days after her so-called dramatic wedding and not one of her family members had made an attempt to contact her, not to even vent out their frustration or disappointment on her and complete her degradation.

She figured that they were probably way too confused or mad to do so. The information she got from Simmy yesterday about how her aunt Marla had bad-mouthed her over the phone was upright proof as well.

"She's as good as dead for us after the hotel scandal and now the elopement. She'd at last shown her true colors after picking at my weaknesses for years,"  was her aunt's exact words according to Simmy.

Sofia couldn't expect anything less from her aunt, however, she had finally found the rare chance to counterblow.

And the fact that even grampa hadn't tried to contact her was something of great importance. It gave her a horrible feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Had he too lost faith in her, too? She wondered, her heart twisting painfully. Everyone else's resentment, she could endure, but not his—not her grampa's.

It was the fear that had kept her away from taking that first step to mend things. She was afraid to face her family for they had the power to break her, ultimately and thoroughly.

There was only so much she could bear at once.

And so, Sofia had decided to let some time pass, so that everything could calm down a bit.

But now, seeing Skyler barging in like that, not in anger but filled with anxiety and distress to the brink, Sofia had a really bad feeling suddenly creep up her spine.

"Skyler?" Sofia stood up hastily and walked around the desk to meet her sister midway.

"Sofi."

For a moment, neither Skyler could say anything nor Sofia herself. The two sisters just stood there facing one another, one wearing the look of an upcoming storm while the other was barely prepared for it.

And it was clear that none of them knew how to put into words what they wanted to say.

If someone is in dire need to begin from somewhere and is quite rudderless about it, then they should drop all attempts of the right beginnings and jump straight to the point.

"I don't know why have you done what you've done," Skyler started, desperation evident in her voice. "But this is something you need to know though my mom and some other outrageous people have already thought highly against it."