38: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 38

The next couple days were actually okay for the most part. Mary and Dennis kept me cooped up in the house on Wednesday and Thursday but Jett had come over both days and succeeded in keeping me company. There was this feeling in the pit of my stomach when Jett would walk through the door after school had finished, almost a feeling of completeness or happiness. I think the fact that he didn’t care whether I got him sick was the main point in my happiness because even though I was sick, he still came over and that’s all that I really wanted.

Today was Friday and I was finally allowed to go to school again, however, because I was still a little sick and was known for having a few sneezing or coughing fits, Piper had been announced the driver for today as I was not allowed to drive until I was fully recovered.

Getting dressed in the morning, I put on a pair of baggy sweatpants as well as a tank top and oversized sweatshirt that were hidden in the back of my closet. After taking a look in the mirror and tying my hair up in a messy person, I quickly concluded that I looked like a homeless person with my slightly red nose and my plain face.

Groaning as I left my room, I headed downstairs slowly, making sure not to give myself a headache before school actually started, and headed straight to the kitchen where I could smell something cooking.

I was incredibly shocked when I saw Piper in front of the stove, using a spatula to try and flip an egg. “Piper!” I screeched, dropping my bag on the ground and pushing her out of the way of the stove quickly.

After turning the stove burner off, I looked down at the fan and saw a very non-edible looking egg. It had dark brown edges and looked like the centre was about to explode and paint the kitchen counter yellow.

Sighing and shaking my head, I turned to look at a rather guilty faced Piper. “Tell me Piper, why you were cooking when you clearly know you have no ability to work a stove or any cooking utensils?” I asked, trying to be stern but I probably just looked amused.

Trying to hide her smile, Piper bit her lip before replying. “Well, I know you’ve been feeling sick and I wanted to try and make something good for you to eat so you wouldn’t have to do a lot this morning.”

I smiled at her, going over to put my arms around her. “Next time, just make me a piece of buttered toast or something.” I suggested with a smirk as I pulled back from the hug.

A quick grin appeared on Piper’s face as she got energized. “Toast I can do!” she yelped, rushing to the other side of the kitchen to make us both some toast as I laughed at my slightly crazy best friend.

Climbing into Piper’s car about twenty five minutes later, I was trying to forget the taste of my almost blackened breakfast that had incredibly too much butter smeared on the top of it. Piper was just lucky that her attempt at cooking hadn’t reset my stomach bug because I really didn’t want to discourage her from cooking all that much.