27: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 27

When the final bell of the day rang, I sprung up out of my seat and headed quickly out of the classroom heading in the direction of my locker. Today Annie had booked me an after school shift at Kaffeine and I only had about twenty minutes to get from school to the coffee shop.

When I arrived at my locker I quickly shoved my anatomy stuff onto the top shelf, as I didn’t get any homework and made sure I had my keys tucked safely into the back pocket of my jeans before slamming my locker door shut.

I was about to head out to the parking lot when Piper popped out of nowhere and scared the shit out of me. “Gosh!” I screeched as I halted my steps and held a hand up to my chest, trying to calm the rapid beating of my heart.

“Oh, did I scare you?” Piper asked innocently, adjusting her bag that was currently hanging off on of her shoulders.

“Umm, let me think about that… yes!” I replied sarcastically.

Piper’s innocent façade faded and was replaced with a guilty smile. “Woopsie.” she said, shrugging her shoulders.

I rolled my eyes at my best friends’ strange behaviour before brushing some stray hair out of my face. “What do you want Pipe, I have to get going because I have a shift in a little less than twenty minutes so please make it quick.” I said, begging her to hurry up.

Piper’s mouth opened and closed a couple times before she gulped nervously. “Umm… I was actually here because you were my ride home today.” she replied slowly.

I froze for a second, thinking back to where I should have mentioned this afternoon shift to Piper but I came up short. I groaned. “Oh man, I was supposed to text you yesterday that you had to drive yourself to school today because I had a shift. Do you by any chance know any one else that you could hitch a ride home from?” I asked quickly, trying to come up with a solution to my stupid mistake.

Piper shook her head, giving me a negative answer and I sighed. “Great, me and my stupid brain have to learn to cooperate more.” I stated, voicing my inner thoughts out loud.

When I heard giggling, my eyes snapped up and I saw it was Piper who apparently got the sudden case of the giggles. I raised my eyebrows. “Is something funny to you?” I asked.

Piper nodded her head. “You’re just stressing about this ride situation but you really don’t need to.” she replied when her giggles had calmed down. “I don’t mind coming to Kaffeine with you and just wait there until somebody can pick me up. Actually I think is a great idea because I haven’t seen Annie in forever and we really need to catch up.”