Chapter eighty nine - The Final Snap

A/N: you ask and I deliver <3

...

You practically felt your memories rushing from your mind into Loki's, like some sort of dam that had been waiting to burst.

It felt good. You were even lighter now, lighter than you had been even when the void in your chest had disappeared. Opening your eyes, you realised that at some point you'd both leaned forward to push your foreheads together. Loki looked pale as a ghost.

You sat up straight slowly, watching him in slight trepidation.

Are you okay?

Mother of all things holy that felt good. That felt right. Someone on the other end of the line to receive your thoughts. This was how it should be. How it should have been for the longest time.

Loki heard all of this. He opened his eyes and raised his head to look at you and you cursed yourself for being so stupid. How could you ever have thought for a second that he wouldn't love you anymore?

His mind was a messy torrent of memories and emotions, both his and yours, mostly yours, but there was one emotion shining through everything with an intensity that was almost overwhelming.

It was this emotion which caused him to grab your face in his hands and kiss you, hard. It was this emotion which caused you to kiss him back with all the love and fervour of someone who hadn't seen their soulmate; their best friend, for five long, awful years.

You were whole again.

Only the sound of Carol Danvers exploding through the side of an enormous spaceship could have drawn you from that kiss, and that's exactly what did. You pulled away and turned your gaze to the sky to watch as the bright white light which you hadn't yet identified as Carol went smashing through the side of Thanos' ship and then circled back for another round.

When you looked back at Loki, your face wet with tears, he was staring at his strand of hair which you'd braided into yours, holding it in his hand. His mind was racing; you didn't even attempt to try and keep up.

We need to go.

You would never communicate with him by speech again. This was the best thing ever. You'd forgotten what it had been like. Loki looked up at you and smiled, really smiled this time, dropping the strand of hair back to your shoulder.

Now he could feel how much you'd missed him, and still loved him. You didn't need to tell him.

I know.

He got to his feet and pulled you after him.

Are you sure you're okay?

Yes. It's a lot but... yes. Are you?

I have quite literally never been better.

An odd thing to say given the fact that your lives and the lives of everyone you cared about were in imminent danger. But you felt good, and you were going to win. You knew it.

Ready?

Yes.

And then you were both back in the middle of the fighting.

You'd lost your sword when you'd been flung backwards by the explosion from the ship so you were back to using your magic, but that was okay. You felt strong. You would find the sword later. Loki's mind was still buzzing with your memories, so having access to his thoughts wasn't a bonus quite yet.

You'd give him a minute.

An unspecified amount of time later you caught sight of Peter hurtling over your head clutching the gauntlet. You tore the Chitauri in front of you in half with your magic and then teleported after him, simultaneously letting Loki know what you were doing. You weren't sure if he'd heard you.