Young and Dumb

A/N: Not really Malec. Just Magnus and Caterina. Also, I spelled 'Caterina' with a 'K' for like most of this, so just ignore that. I'm too lazy to fix it. And yes, I changed their personalities a bit. They are young here, like children, and behave differently. So... yeah. Enjoy.

"You went against my wishes, Katerina." The Wizard said, his hands behind his back. She could see his reflection in the glass of the mirror he gazed out of.

"I'm sorry, sir. I didn't mean to."

"Tell that to the millions of people on that ship!" Her friend, Magnus, grumbled.

"I suppose we should do something to insure that the situation is taken care of," The Wizard continued as if neither of them had spoken. His face was cleanly shaved, his piercing blue eyes, filled with disappointment, stared unwavering into her eyes. He appeared young, but Katerina knew better than that; he had to be at least five hundred years old. Wizards stopped ageing after a certain age. Katerina wasn't quite there yet.

But, Katerina wasn't like everyone else. She had a... a problem. She couldn't control her magic. And so, here she was, being chastised for putting a spell on a giant ship that was now destroying half of the city.

"We can stop the ship," Magnus suggested, saving Katerina from the uncomfortable silence the Wizard surely expected her to end.

The Wizard grunted. "Too dangerous for inexperienced children like yourself."

Magnus crossed his arms in front of his chest, muttering that he wasn't a child.

Magnus was good at magic, but he never knew what spell to perform when.

"I'll prove it, then. I'll prove that I'm not as doomed as you all say." Katerina spoke up, not waiting for a response before she turned on her heel and darted out of the room.

The spell to remove the curse she had accidentally placed on the ship was for level seven wizards. Katerina was a level one. Nevertheless, she was going to try anyway. What was the worst that could happen? Flipping through the pages of the spellbook, she blew the dust off of the counter that must have not been used for ages, flicking away a daddy long leg spider with her index finger. It took her twenty minutes just to find the correct page, and another hour to figure out how to read the Arabian alphabet, with the help of Google Translate. The time it took her to learn to pronounce it all, she was not sure. Magnus had found her safe haven, though he wasn't a lot of help, as he wasn't very much more inclined within the world of magic as she was.

It felt like hours before they stood in front of the window, facing the ship, when they simultaneously began reading the spell. At first nothing happened. Katerina thought they had performed the spell incorrectly. But then it happened. A loud snap was heard across the city, and the ship flew backward.

Magnus grinned uncharacteristically. "We did it."

"We did?"

"Yeah,"

"Okay then, that was easy." I grumbled, half-disappointed that it hadn't been much of a show like she had hoped. The Wizard probably hadn't even noticed.

That theory proved to be wrong right away.

The door to the dust-covered room they stood in flew open, causing the old lights to flicker, the door squeaking loudly on its hinges.

"You did it," The Wizard breathed. "You actually did it."

"Well, duh. What, did you think we wouldn't?"

The Wizard, wisely ignoring Magnus's sarcasm, grinned like the sun had just come out after a long rainstorm. "Congratulations. You've passed your test."

"Test?" Katerina and Magnus echoed.

...

"Welcome, newly arising level two wizards, to the Parlor of Magic."

The parlor was giant. Table stretched as far as the eye could see, young wizards and witches standing at the tables, purple and green magic swarming around their hands. Katerina gasped in awe, Magnus gawking at the scene next to her.

"Level two: Magic of Creation." One of their new teachers spoke. "Come, I'll show you to your new work areas."

The Wizard swept down the hallway in front of them, his cape billowing behind him. Looking over his shoulder, he told Katerina, "You've come a long way from the disaster on the ship. I think you may just have the makings of a phenomenal wizard."

Katerina smiled at Magnus. "It's going to be a great year after all."

...

They started in their new class the next day. Their table was in the back corner of the classroom, but they weren't complaining. Apparently, spell casting was a lot harder than it looked. Even though they had completed the level seven spell only yesterday, there was a lot more to it.

Three weeks into class, they had a project. A group project. They were paired with a girl with long red hair, with freckles spotting her cheeks. She had striking purple eyes.

"I'm Olivia," Olivia stuck out her hand for them to shake. Magnus stared at it warily, but Katerina shook it firmly.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Katerina. This," She pointed at Magnus, "Is Magnus. He'll warm up to you eventually."

They ran off to work on their project. The assignment was to bring a tree frog back to life. It lay dead on the silver tray atop their table, belly up.

"What was for 'resurrection?'" Katerina asked, training her magic on the frog while Magnus and Olivia stirred the glowing green stuff in the cauldron.

"I think it was 'crepitus.' Olivia replied, keeping her eyes trained on the cauldron.

Caterina chanted the word with the rest of the spell, cutting Magnus off before he could say anything.

"Caterina!" He pushed her away from the frog. "That's Latin for 'explosion!'"

Caterina looked at the frog. Nothing happened. "What do you mean? I said, 'Fartum est in spiritu vocat urbe crepitus,'"

Magnus threw his hands up in exasperation. "I summon the spirits upon the sandwich to explode this city?!' That doesn't even make sense! Seriously Caterina, this spell isn't even in Latin!"

"Oh yeah, then what language is it in?"

"Greek. You can tell by the alphabet. The Greek alphabet."

"Then why has nothing..."

Boom!

The teacher looked up from her cell phone, where she was watching the news channel. "A giant sandwich is blowing up the city!"

Caterina flushed. "Oops," She muttered.

The Wizard flew into the classroom seconds later. "Caterina, Magnus, what have you done this time?!" He shouted.

"Not this again," Magnus grumbled.

"Again?" Olivia asked. "What happened last time?"

"Long story."

"Mister Wizard, Sir, I can explain! I'll fix it!" Once again, Caterina turned on her heel, and raced out of the room.

"That girl is never going to get this right," Magnus rolled his eyes.

"Eventually," The Wizard sighed. "It takes practice."

"Even then, I'm not sure she'll be able to not cause tons of turmoil." Before The Wizard could reply, Magnus raced after his best friend, Olivia following suit. The sooner they fix this, the better.