Chapter 3

10th October 2010

Liam nervously knocked on the door and fidgeted as he waited to be beckoned inside.

“Come in,” the familiar deep voice called out.

Taking a deep breath, Liam pushed the door open and stepped into the plush Syco office. Simon was sitting behind his desk with his slim silver spectacles perched low on his nose. He looked up from his desk as Liam entered and offered him a half-smile, “Ah Liam, fantastic… come and take a seat,” he indicated the chairs in front of his desk.

Liam shut the door and then crossed over the soft beige carpet to take a seat in one of the black leather chairs in front of his mentor.

“You wanted to talk to me?” He asked in way of greeting.

“Yes,” Simon replied, his eyes scanning Liam up and down - seemingly trying to measure him against something only his head knew. Liam fought not to squirm under the scrutiny. He was a little anxious of what this meeting could be about and the fact that the others had not been invited too… that meant this meeting was about him and not the band as a whole… and that was… well… unsettling.

“How are getting on with your band mates?” Simon asked after a moment.

“Great,” he replied instantly, “they’re great guys.”

“Indeed,” Simon nodded, “and the house arrangements?”

Liam hesitated, “Well… it’s a little tight for space in our room and the others are quite messy… but it’s… fun?”

“Mmmhmm…” Simon stared at him unblinkingly and Liam found himself getting very uncomfortable indeed. Just when the sweat was starting to break out on his neck, Simon looked away. “Right, the reason I want to talk to you Liam is that I am concerned with the roles you’ve set yourselves within the group. I think One Direction has the potential to be the next big boy-band – I really do.”

Liam flushed with pleasure but didn’t say anything. It sounded like a ‘but’ was coming.

But,” said Simon, “in order to do so, you have to prove yourselves and not just by singing. You have to act accordingly in public and not be carried away by the hype that will, in no doubt, come your way. I need someone within the band to keep the others focused and out of trouble. Quite frankly, you seem to be the calmest and most level-headed of the bunch so I am appealing to you for this roll.”

“Um…”

“I’m not asking for much Liam, don’t panic,” Simon added quickly, seeing the hesitancy on the 17-year-old’s face. “All I want is for you to keep an eye on the other boys; advise them if something they’re doing is inappropriate and remind them occasionally of what is at stake – basically be a big brother to them.” He waved his hands in emphasis. “I can’t be around all the time, as you know, so if there’s someone in the band watching over things – that would… well… it be a load off my mind, certainly.” He stood up and walked around the desk, perching himself on it in front of Liam and taking off his glasses. “I’ve been in this business a long time, Liam. I know what goes on behind the scenes - all the good and the bad and the ugly. I have learned what to look out for, how to spot potential problems and I am not afraid to be blunt with certain issues. Sometimes being blunt in necessary in order to give a singer or a band the best chance at success. You’re young, you’re all going to make mistakes and you’re going to face a lot of ups and downs along the path of your music career. Fame can do strange things to people and not everyone can cope with it.”

“I understand,” Liam nodded.

Simon’s eyes flashed with interest and he leaned forward, “Do you Liam? Do you really? Okay, let’s see then. What potential problems do you perceive in let’s say… your band mate Zayn?”