Valentine's Special

“Are you sure about this?” Harry asked again, as he pushed the knot of his best tie up to meet the collar of his shirt. A part of him thought this was a bad idea. A very bad idea.

“I’m certain,” Liam chuckled from behind him. He leaned in the doorway of Harry and Louis’ bedroom and crossed his arms over his chest. “Everything will be fine. Trust me. It’s not like this is the first time I’ve child-sat for you before.”

“But there are five of them this time…” Harry fretted, worrying his lip.

In the mirror he could see Liam roll his eyes and push away from the door-frame. Two seconds later, Liam’s hands came down heavily on his shoulders and their eyes met in the glass. Liam smiled fondly, “If I have any problems I’m sure Dana and Beth will help me out. Anyway. Seth and Ella are hardly babies anymore, mate. They’re five years old.”

“Okay, okay,” Harry sighed, leaning into him a little, “it’s just…”

“I know,” said Liam quietly, “they’re your kids. You’re going to worry about them but, trust me, if they can survive two weeks alone with Daisy, I’m certain they can survive one night with me.”

Harry cracked a small smile, “Yeah, that’s true.” Liam squeezed his shoulder encouragingly. “Alright then. Just remember; half-seven bath-time for the twins and they’re to be in bed by half-eight at the latest. They might beg you to read them a story – it’s up to you if you do, but just one or you’ll be there all night.” Liam nodded. “Ryan can stay up to ten-thirty if he wants,” Harry continued, “but he must hand you his mobile before he goes to bed.” Liam nodded again. The mobile thing, he knew, was because Ryan had been recently caught staying up to the early hours of the morning texting his friends. Neither Harry nor Louis had been impressed when his grades started slipping due to his tiredness. That’s why the mobile was handed in before bedtime. “Beth may have her boyfriend over but he must be left by eleven o’clock and he is certainly not allowed in her room – downstairs at all times. Also, if you can, try and keep the twins away from the rec-room. Dana’s got an essay due next week so she needs a bit of peace. Plus, some of her project work is in there and nobody wants that to get damaged.”

“No problem.”

Harry chewed on his bottom lip as he thought about what else he needed to tell his friend. “Uh… All emergency numbers are pinned up on the fridge… including our hotel’s. Umm… there’s the makings of Spaghetti Bolognaise but you can make anything you want for dinner. The kids aren’t fussy and I daresay Ryan will help you out. He’s really into his cooking at the moment. Oh! And there are some pots of chocolate mousse for dessert providing they eat up all their vegetables – one each only though and no more fizzy drinks once dinner is over… milk or water only…” Liam nodded seriously as Harry started ticking the rules off his fingers. “Beth may spend the evening online providing all of her homework is complete. Check her planner if you don’t believe her if she tells you it’s all done. Boy-band and hot teenage actor obsessions are not as important as her GSCEs. What else… Oh yeah, make sure Ella feeds her hamster before she goes to bed and that Seth brushes his teeth properly – he’s got the dentist next Tuesday.

What else, what else… There’s, um, plenty of bread and cereal for breakfast tomorrow morning. Seth and Ella will probably wake up between seven and eight but they’ll quietly watch cartoons until you’re up too. They may even help themselves to cereal if they’re too impatient to wait that long. Lou and I don’t usually get up until ten on a Sunday anyway so they’re used to being downstairs on their own. Don’t expect the other three to be up before eleven though but if they’re not up by half-twelve then chap on their doors and encourage them to get their lazy bums out of bed.”