chapter 4; pallor

That night Nora slept soundly on the sofa in the living room, her hands tucked under each arm and her face to the back of the sofa. The lobby lights flickered momentarily and a single fly buzzed around the rim of the light shade.

In the kitchen, silence swallowed the air except for the faint pitter patter of the leaky sink. Downstairs, the storm could be heard louder as the wind whistled past the walls and across the damp floor. Rain seeped in through the small gaps between the window and the wall, drudging down and collecting as a puddle on the floor.

Someone was breathing heavily, staring at the light that poured in from under the basement door in the kitchen. A heavy boot moved, one foot after the other, drawn to the light as if a welcoming to him.

He could be heard climbing up the stairs, breathing like a chain smoker. Turning the door knob, quietly, it became apparent it was locked. So he struck his shoulder against it, over and over again.

Nora awoke from the ominous clangour. She sat up, her heart beating faster as the noise grew louder and more frightening. It was unclear as to what she was hearing exactly and when she dove for the door, the banging turned to knocks.

Someone was knocking on the basement door.

Nora studied the front door but eventually shifted her attention to the kitchen when she realised where it was coming from. 

"Who's there?" Nora finally stuttered and the knocking ceased.

She glanced at the secure lock on the door and backed away from the kitchen.

Nora walked into Eleanor's room and to her bed in the darkness. Her hand hovered, searching for Eleanor's shoulder but she couldn't find it. A stroke of terror befell her when she found nothing but empty space.

"What are you doing?" Eleanor asked from behind her.

Nora quickly turned around, "There's someone in the basement."

She couldn't see Eleanor's face but the outline of her hair and body as the corridor light cascaded in from behind her.

"Don't be silly, Nora."

"Someone is knocking on the basement door, nan. I swear it," she said. "I think I need to call someone."

Eleanor instinctively pulled Nora's phone from her hand, "Don't be daft, child. Just go to sleep."

"Why won't you believe me?"

"Because noises come from the basement all the time. It's the leaks and the wind from the thunderstorm outside."

"But I heard knocking-" she stuttered.

"You don't believe me, do you? Would you like to go downstairs in the basement to have a look then?"

"No, I-"

"Then go to sleep Nora and let me sleep, too. Turn the lights on like I asked you," she said, walking to the bed and sitting down on the side.

"My phone-"

Eleanor put it on the bed and Nora quickly picked it up.

"They already think I'm crazy," Eleanor said in a low voice as Nora was about to leave. "Don't give them more reasons to."

Nora walked out and closed the door behind her.

Nora returned to the kitchen, listening intently. The lock was still in place and the knocks could no longer be heard. Nora turned the lights off one by one and mutely returned to her bedroom.